Lost my cool and my latest project

I noticed today that my candle holder that was ready for finish wasn't sitting flat on the legs after glue up. I tried flattening it with a half sheet sander, block plane, and sand paper glued to some mdf. Nothing was working I tried with my disc sander and everything went to hell. Started losing my patience, stressed out to finish stuff within certain timelines. Decided that I could flatten it with the router table, smoothed and flattened 3 legs, I get to the fourth leg and it blew apart.

Now I'm pissed off, stressed out and losing my mind. I try to soften the glue joint with heat from my heat gun. I give it a whack with my maker and another and BOOM the sycamore piece split. Now I'm completely effed. I knock the other legs off not giving a damn since all is lost, I throw the piece across the shop to the garbage, and now I'm too angry and stressed to be able to think clearly to do what I need to do.

I hate Christmas! Grinch mode go!

I throw the piece across the shop to the garbage

It's good to know I'm not the only one who does this. <_<

I'm always embarrassed afterwards, but smashing the thing just feels right.

Grinch mode go!

Remember the Grinch mellowed over time and really had a good time slicing up the roast beast.

Remember the good cheer.

If all else fails, gift the smashed and busted pieces and tell the story over a libation of choice.

:)

Dave

The crappy thing about it is after I cooled off I figured out exactly what I could've done to and it would've taken me a few minutes to cut some wood and clamp them across the legs and use my router on a sled and take light passes with a small downcut spiral bit. Lesson learned, haste is no good.

On a good note, I got the 3 pens I needed to make done. First one was a miserable failure, I had been doing BLO then shellac at low speeds on the lathe, however I decided I was gonna go for speed and do a CA finish. Tonight was the last time I will ever use CA to finish a pen. It's all done and looks fantastic, I pull it off the lathe and clean up the glue that build up at the end... I put it in the pen press and press on the pieces, get CA separation from the wood which looks miserable. That pen goes in the surplus messed up pen pile. I've turned over 100 pens and I'm up to 7 I wouldn't give those away pens, but they are great for throwing around the shop.

I started drilling these 2 pieces of wood, they are exotics of some kind, just randoms that were in the exotic 50 cent blank bin. When I started drilling it it was like trying to drill glass. Hard as could be and was chipping out in sharp little bits. I've drilled and turned everything from Alder to Ziricote, never saw anything like it, was tough to machine, had to use my easy wood tools rougher which had it's issue trying to cut it, went at it from the endgrain and slid sideways as it was the only way to get smooth clean cuts, the wood also stuck to everything as it flew about. Its grain looks similar to cocobolo or some sort of rosewood. 1 of them is walnut, I wound up finishing them with 2 coats of brown HUT pen wax followed by 2 coats of white HUT pen wax. Sometimes simple is best.

I'm going to remake the candle holder on Friday. I've got some extra materials and the template I made still. 

IMAG2225.jpg

Find the couch, and a good hard drink of choice, and relax. The world won't end if you don't get everything done that you demand of yourself. There is always another day, take it from a guy that's lived 26,280 days, not to mention the equal amount of nights!  Relax, you'll get it all done!

• Like 1

Well now you're at least required to post a photo of the near finished project you threw across the room. 

I'll snap a picture later when I get home. I couldn't look at it. 

:) I'm mourning the loss of that lovely piece you made

I'm going to remake it tomorrow, I've got the materials and patterns still. Going to make a couple of tweaks to it as well.