Collection of handplanes for sale

AndrewPritchard

Lots of moulding planes.  Do you think you'll use them much?  I also see what looks like a shooting board plane (circled in picture). I saw a couple local craigslists ads recently where the guy was trying to sell a couple of these for over $1000 each.  I just tried to google 'stanley shooting board plane' to see what their typical value was but didn't really get any hits.  I'm guessing i have the name wrong.. perhaps someone else knows more about it?

post-15737-0-38846300-1418866927_thumb.j

Anyway, it appears that they're mostly moulding planes along with few jointer-like wood-bodied planes.  Looks like a couple smoothing planes on the left of the middle shelf next to a couple jack planes.

It seems likely that you'll rarely if ever use all of the items listed. My opinion would be to pass on this and buy the specific planes you're interested in elsewhere.  This way you don't end up with a pile of stuff taking up storage space because you never use them.  Plus, you'll likely save money that way.

I'm wondering if I should buy the set, then sell off the ones I don't want. Especially if there are some which are worth more than the $350 they want for it all.

I wouldn't go into it with the expectation of receiving high-value items. Though, you could possibly make profit by selling off ones that you didn't want.. at the cost of your time and effort. The ones i saw on craigslists likely had something special about them that draw in collectors.

I found the craigslist ad. Looks like they're a different model, plus they appear to be in rather pristine condition.  http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/4795946274.html

Prior to making a vintage plane purchase you might also want to search around a bit to get a feel for how much time goes into getting one ready to do woodworking again - i know youtube has a ton of videos on this topic.  There's a decent amount of things to consider before buying a used handplane such as if the body is pitted or cracked, how far out of flat the sole is, if you need to make a replacement handle/tote, if the frog is fully intact, etc.  

I know even less about wood-bodied planes, but i assume they also have a point where they're not worth salvaging.  At minimum i'd assume that any cracks around the handle or mouth would be a no-go.

I found the craigslist ad. Looks like they're a different model, plus they appear to be in rather pristine condition.  http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/tls/4795946274.html

Prior to making a vintage plane purchase you might also want to search around a bit to get a feel for how much time goes into getting one ready to do woodworking again - i know youtube has a ton of videos on this topic.  There's a decent amount of things to consider before buying a used handplane such as if the body is pitted or cracked, how far out of flat the sole is, if you need to make a replacement handle/tote, if the frog is fully intact, etc.  

I know even less about wood-bodied planes, but i assume they also have a point where they're not worth salvaging.  At minimum i'd assume that any cracks around the handle or mouth would be a no-go.

Not to get too far off topic Bill, but what part of Pittsburgh do you live in? I also live in Pittsburgh, only about 10-15 minutes away from Monroeville.

I'm not real excited by anything I can see in that picture.  A molding plane with a rusty iron is practically useless.  One with a missing iron is even closer to being useless, or at least not worth anything.  I own well over a hundred molding planes, and the average cost of useable ones was about 15 bucks.

• Like 1

I would pass on this. As Gilgaron said, that is a 78 that Bill circled. Over in the UK you can pick a complete one up for about £10 if you are willing to do a bit of work. Tom is spot on about the moulding planes - they go for about £1 each here if they have a blade that is not to rusty (ie can be rescued) and a wedge.