Poplar Birds Eye?

wouldwurker

I picked up this board at Lowe's today, while procuring my poplar for Marc's toy chest build.

Is this technically considered a type of Birdseye'? It was pretty so I grabbed it.

The photos really do it no justice. It almost looks like the holes go all the way through the board when it catches the light. The figure runs the full length of the 8 foot board.

eeaf35e1a9b66851d25dcb8cd045a490.jpg46ac7ea6a436220479a34585c8e7bdfe.jpg

I picked up this board at Lowe's today, while procuring my poplar for Marc's toy chest build.

Is this technically considered a type of Birdseye'? It was pretty so I grabbed it.

The photos really do it no justice. It almost looks like the holes go all the way through the board when it catches the light. The figure runs the full length of the 8 foot board.

eeaf35e1a9b66851d25dcb8cd045a490.jpg46ac7ea6a436220479a34585c8e7bdfe.jpg

It would be a shame to paint that, it looks good!

Not sure if that would be considered birdseye or if it's caused by branching like Steve said.  It's definitely not common in poplar.  I've seen thousands of poplar boards and I can't say I've seen one like that.  We have some maple boards that look like birdseye and quilting had a deformed baby.  They're not that attractive, but it's an odd figure.  Wood does weird stuff, and I don't think there's a name for every single variation in grain.

Here's a good write-up about figure I found a few years ago...

http://www.aaes.auburn.edu/comm/pubs/bulletins/figureinwood/index.php#general

I agree w/ Eric. There aren't names for every possible thing you see in wood. If this HAD to be fit into an existing name I would call it "extremely sparse pomelle". I would not call it mottled, because of the roundness.

Here's a decent list of the names that do exist:

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_discussion_figureandgrain_pics.htm

And here's a discussion of all the names

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_discussion_figureandgrain.htm

I ran across an 8' board of waterfall white pine... didn't have a project for it, but I so wanted to collect that.  Maybe rescue it from someone who wouldn't appreciate finding it at Lowe's. 

Talked with the local lumberyard about it on my next visit, and they said "it's nature.  It does what it wants.  Ain't no way to predict it."  And then proceeded to make me feel bad that I even set foot inside a Lowe's, let alone considered buying it.  Considering they are 20% more expensive than Lowe's, I do think about it before buying.  Considering they are 5 miles down the road, and Lowes' is 20.... it sometimes works out even.

Do I need to give you a personal tour of a few Atlanta hardwood lumber yards? I have gotten curly maple out of the downgrade (discount) pile because to commercial buyers it's a defect. They are looking for clear white planks, or paint grade with some heartwood showing. Curly even shows through a painted finish ( horrifying concept isn't it)

Random widths. Random lengths , surfaced 2 sides and one edge straight line ripped is typical.