I lost my as(h)

weithman5

I saved some pieces I could carry from a smaller tree. If my sons would have been home I would have rolled the first two big pieces to my back yard and tried to get milled. By the end of the day they were already turned to wood chips. The city wastes no time getting rid of them. Hence the heart break

City?  I'm surprised it sat long enough for you to get a photo of it?  Round here, they pull up in three vehicles: the supervisor in his extended crew cab long bed with nobody in it but him, the small king cab with the two guys who will climb the tree and their designated driver, and the big stakebody with the plywood sides and the chipper towed behind it.  Sometimes, the supervisor will swap out the pickup for a cherry picker to get the branches.

I've watched them toss a sugar maple into the chipper as they were bringing it down... 12" diameter trunk, so it was only mildly disturbing, but still.

Local Scout summer camp lost three campsites worth of ash.  City made them cut it all down in a two week period, and they stacked it all up for the entry bonfire.  Lot of people were unhappy about that.  Not just because they were burning it green.

That is pretty much what happens here. These. Trees were marked for death all summer. They removed all but this one the day they cut it down. This picture was taken the next morning when I came home at lunch to let the dogs out it was already gone. The city contracts the workout. I had been hoping to sneak a few pieces of these trees before they got taken but this logs that remain were too big for me to move. The tree in my yard is smaller and closer to my house if it is marked for death next year I will try and get a piece of it as soon as possible