735 Stand - Build vs Buy

tedfmcm

Was planning on building a mobile stand for my new 735 planer over the holiday break.  However, after looking at the cost of casters ~$70 for a set of four, I'm not questioning if it really is cost effective to not just buy the stand from dewalt ~$150.

Of course, building pros would be I could add custom storage, but between the cost of the casters and around $50 for a sheet of plywood, I'm now thinking its almost the same price just to buy, and also a lot faster.

Am I missing anything here?  The stand has good reviews so I don't think it's lacking in quality.

Thanks,

Ted

Locking, wheel and swivel, 3" plate mount casters at Peachtree woodworking for $15 each. I've used them several places in the shop. Great to be able to move a stand it a specific location and the locks on both swivel and wheel makes things very stationary.

Ask at your local cabinet shop for scrap plywood. After pieces get to a certain size it piles up and ends up in the dumpster. Ya can't be picky about appearance but it works for shop furniture.

Was planning on building a mobile stand for my new 735 planer over the holiday break.  However, after looking at the cost of casters ~$70 for a set of four, I'm not questioning if it really is cost effective to not just buy the stand from dewalt ~$150.

Of course, building pros would be I could add custom storage, but between the cost of the casters and around $50 for a sheet of plywood, I'm now thinking its almost the same price just to buy, and also a lot faster.

Am I missing anything here?  The stand has good reviews so I don't think it's lacking in quality.

Thanks,

Ted

In the end, I don't really think this is about money.  It's about your time and your needs.  Questions really only you can answer.

If you have the time and need the extra storage, build one.  If not, sounds like a good deal to buy one.

I built my stand, but because of space, it's on straight up and down legs, However since I have to take it out of my shop to use it, I took 2 4" pieces of PVC and drove them into the ground and I set the feet of my table in those and it stays rock solid, and aims my dust directly into my dust collector.

post-15288-0-99242800-1419003857_thumb.j

In case someone stumbles in here in the future, I think any caster with over a 75lb individual rating will be overbuilt for what you need on a planer stand.  Lunchbox planers weigh less than 100lbs and your lumber won't weigh all that much either.  I'd just browse on amazon to find a caster that suits what you want.  Having a larger diameter will help it to roll over wood chips on the floor.  Only 2 of the casters need to lock.  My guess is you can buy sufficient casters for $20-30 total.

Here's a steelex 4" locking swivel caster for $7.5 a piece.  These are still overkill, but at a more reasonable price.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005W0WPAG

• Like 1

Also for future viewers of this thread: it looks like the Dewalt stand is only wide enough to accommodate the planer itself without the tables. While this doesn't present a problem for the front, the back cannot be folded up unless the planer is raised to it's fullest height - even then it doesn't tend to stay up. 

Also for future viewers of this thread: it looks like the Dewalt stand is only wide enough to accommodate the planer itself without the tables. While this doesn't present a problem for the front, the back cannot be folded up unless the planer is raised to it's fullest height - even then it doesn't tend to stay up. 

True, however the rear extension table comes off very easily. I just pop it off and store it on top of the planer and fold the front table. 

One large consideration is your shop's size.  If it's like most of us, you need some additional storage so you build your own stand - possible even a stand that holds the 735 and a miter saw on a flippable top - again, maximizing the footprint of the cart.

Other than that, it's fun to build your own...cost wise, there won't be a huge difference unless like Steve said, a cabinet shop gives you some pieces.  I go with Steve, I like the large castors because they roll over giblets well in the shop.  I don't usually go for the locking but if the price difference is negligible, do it and you have more options.