Dark red/brown wood

daviddoria

I am of the "build it from wood that is the color that you want the final product" school of thought. That is, I try to avoid stains and dyes at all costs! That said, I've been asked to build something to match this:

http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/P10766117.jpg

Is there a wood species that is this kind of red/brown color?

Thanks!

David

It's a small picture to go from, but I agree with Kev that it looks like stained cherry opposed to mahogany because of the apparent closed pore structure.  I would build it with cherry and let it age naturally to that burgundy color.  Honduran mahogany will also get to be that color with a more more rusty brown tint.  Both beautiful, and both deserve to be left natural to look they way they're supposed to look.  IMO.

Honduran Mahogany is pretty pricey that's why a lot of people substitute African which in the Denver area is much less expensive.  Jatoba or Brazilian Cherry may be a close match and relatively cheap although hard as heck and not as easy to work as Mahogany, also may have to clean glue surfaces with some Acetone prior to glue up.

http://www.wood-database.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Rosewood looks close but it's expensive.

WHAT rosewood? I always find it interesting that some people seem to think "rosewood" specifies a particular wood. I have dozens of different types on my site, most of which are not even close to the color he wants.

Is there a particular type of mahogany that is that color? I got some "African Mahogany", and it was very very light (almost white - not quite as white as maple, but no where even in the ballpark of this color that I'm looking for).

I've had African mahogany both light and dark but I don't think any will get to what you want. Sapele or sipo will likely do it it you get the right pieces and apply pretty much any finishing agent such as poly or shellac. Honduran manogany is also a possibility as suggested but mostly you'll find it much too light.

As far as I'm aware there just isn't any wood such that you can say "this species of wood will definitely get me the color I want".  The right PIECE of a number of species will do it ... you just need to see what you're buying.

I salute you for not wanting to use stain. I agree w/ you completely on that.

It doesn't look anything like any kind of rosewood to me.

Padauk turns a muddy grayish-brown with age and exposure to the sun...the reddish-orange fades almost entirely.  It's one of the few woods that gets uglier instead of prettier.  Unfortunate.

It doesn't look anything like any kind of rosewood to me.

While I agree w/ you in general, the right piece of any of these might do it. You can see samples of each on my site that have that dark brown color:

Amazon rosewood

Bolivian rosewood (not actually a rosewood)

East Indian rosewood

Honduran rosewood

Madagascar rosewood

and depending on how much dark streaking would be OK, there are others. MOST pieces of any of those will not be the right color, I'm just reinforcing my statement that there is NO species that guarantees the color and many that will have it in a piece here and there.

Padauk turns a muddy grayish-brown with age and exposure to the sun...the reddish-orange fades almost entirely.  It's one of the few woods that gets uglier instead of prettier.  Unfortunate.

Yes, it sure does, but I THOUGHT that I remembered seeing pieces that were less muddy/ugly and more plain old dark brown with age. I just checked and I find my memory was wrong. You got it completely right.