first big project?

bushwacked

I was thinking of making a dinner table ... about 5' x 32"

I like this design below and was curious if it would be a good first time big project piece? Am I biting off more than I can chew? I would think something like this would be able to use basic knowledge to complete.

12-19-20141-42-11PM_zps95008159.png

One of my major concerns would be connecting the underneath rail and the legs ... not sure what I should look into for that. like why type of techniques would be better to allow the wood to move and all that.

I built a similar table a few years ago, but it sold with the house. Its a great project to cut your teeth on.

Go for mortise and tenons on the aprons/legs. Use a corner brace to reinforce if you like (I did).

Top is fun to build. Use some biscuits or cauls to keep it all flat and glue up in a few smaller stages. Buttons are a great way to attach the top.

Sounds to me like a good way to stretch yourself..

Domino springs to mind for the apron to let joints or just some good old fashioned M&T joints.

Could consider BB ends on the table

Could also play with some tapers on the legs

If all I have is a biscuit joiner is that not enough? Not sure I could swing a $1k domino.

I will read up on M&T joints. Wouldn't be so bad if I had a dado set haha.

+1 on Kevs suggestions. Looks like a fun project to me.

Should be really fun.

I think it would be a great journal project.

What will you do for chairs

Yep I will be sure to journal it.

Chair will be bought ... Not a chance of making those anywhere near functional.

I built a similar table a few years ago, but it sold with the house. Its a great project to cut your teeth on.

Go for mortise and tenons on the aprons/legs. Use a corner brace to reinforce if you like (I did).

Top is fun to build. Use some biscuits or cauls to keep it all flat and glue up in a few smaller stages. Buttons are a great way to attach the top.

When you say biscuits to keep it flat ... Do you mean in the edges of the top prices I am gluing together?

If all I have is a biscuit joiner is that not enough? Not sure I could swing a $1k domino.

I will read up on M&T joints. Wouldn't be so bad if I had a dado set haha.

When you say biscuits to keep it flat ... Do you mean in the edges of the top prices I am gluing together?

I wouldn't use the biscuits for attaching the aprons to the legs - M&T joints there - You could build a jig for the table saw?

Biscuits are good for keeping the top flat in glue up.

Absolutely go for it. I made a dining room table as my first big project and loved every second of it. You can see my thread on it here: 

The kind of table you show in your picture has a very rustic look to it. The pieces of the table top are not actually glued together but are instead attached directly to the apron with the pieces just lying right next to each other. It will never be super flat, but it does give it a very "farm table" like look. 

If I were betting man, I would lay great odds that if you looked under that table those legs were screwed into a couple of corner brackets built right into the apron in such a way that they could be unscrewed for moving.

The entire table could be made using pocket screws if you lack the ability to make mortise and tenons.

You can do it, BW!

Sure, use the biscuits to align the top pieces for glueing, but glue alone is plenty strong enough in that application.

I agree that biscuits are not a good way to join aprons to legs. If it were a coffee table, I'd say do M&T, but a dining table really needs to come apart for moving, so I vote corner bracket on that one. You could use biscuits ir dowels (glued on the apron, dry on the leg) for alignment, and a metal corner bracket such as I have seen at my local Lowe's home center. Find them on the isle with stair treads and replacement table legs & specialty moldings.

I say go for it.  This is one of those designs where you can make as simple or complex as you want.  Think it through, buy a little extra material and build in a manner that you're comfortable with.  If you have any Q's along the way, this forum is a great place to get answers :P

I wouldn't use the biscuits for attaching the aprons to the legs - M&T joints there - You could build a jig for the table saw?

Biscuits are good for keeping the top flat in glue up.

Ya I think I will go that route with a jig for the table. The sand off the uneven marks from the table saw.

Ok sounds like the going consensus is biscuit and glue the top. I can do that ... Good thing I got in on the jet clamp sale!!

Absolutely go for it. I made a dining room table as my first big project and loved every second of it. You can see my thread on it here:

The kind of table you show in your picture has a very rustic look to it. The pieces of the table top are not actually glued together but are instead attached directly to the apron with the pieces just lying right next to each other. It will never be super flat, but it does give it a very "farm table" like look.

If I were betting man, I would lay great odds that if you looked under that table those legs were screwed into a couple of corner brackets built right into the apron in such a way that they could be unscrewed for moving.

The entire table could be made using pocket screws if you lack the ability to make mortise and tenons.

Thanks for the thoughts. I will be studying your thread in the coming days.

So you are thinking they just connected them at possibly 4 points on the apron and left it at that?

I am really thinking of doing that for the legs. Secured on with some corner brackets so it would be ready to move easily if the time came.

Yes I could do pocket screws but only want to do that as a last resort. I want to work on techniques if I can.

You can do it, BW!

Sure, use the biscuits to align the top pieces for glueing, but glue alone is plenty strong enough in that application.

I agree that biscuits are not a good way to join aprons to legs. If it were a coffee table, I'd say do M&T, but a dining table really needs to come apart for moving, so I vote corner bracket on that one. You could use biscuits ir dowels (glued on the apron, dry on the leg) for alignment, and a metal corner bracket such as I have seen at my local Lowe's home center. Find them on the isle with stair treads and replacement table legs & specialty moldings.

Thanks!

Question. How would I attach the apron to the table top? Just glue or biscuits or what?

Yes the brackets for legs I think is winning out right now. I like that idea for ease of use in the future.

I say go for it. This is one of those designs where you can make as simple or complex as you want. Think it through, buy a little extra material and build in a manner that you're comfortable with. If you have any Q's along the way, this forum is a great place to get answers :P

Thanks! Yes this forum is amazing! I'm sure I will have lots of questions along the way haha.

The top should not be solidly attached to the aprons (as with glue). That road will inevitably lead to heartbreak. Instead, use a router or tablesaw or biscut joiner to make a groove or series of slots near the top edge of the aprons, on the inside face. Then use 'Z-clips' or shop made buttons which screw into the underside of the top, and hook into the slots. These allow the top to expand and contract from humidity, without cracking anything. Rockler has the z-clips, although they aren't the only source. Google for table top hardware, there are things called figure 8 fasteners that do the job as well.

• Like 1

Oooh ok. That is a nice little jig there I will need to barrow that haha

What do you have in the middle? Where all the screws are going down?

Just some cross pieces that keep it snug on the fence..  Essentially, a box inside the box - I wanted tall boards to be supported.  1 or 2 pieces of paper is about all the wiggle room you want on your fence.

Let me know if you want some close up shots or different angles and I'll go snag some..

Just some cross pieces that keep it snug on the fence.. Essentially, a box inside the box - I wanted tall boards to be supported. 1 or 2 pieces of paper is about all the wiggle room you want on your fence.

Let me know if you want some close up shots or different angles and I'll go snag some..

I would actually really like to see a pic if you don't mind. I think I am in visioning this correctly but would just want to double check it

The top should not be solidly attached to the aprons (as with glue). That road will inevitably lead to heartbreak. Instead, use a router or tablesaw or biscut joiner to make a groove or series of slots near the top edge of the aprons, on the inside face. Then use 'Z-clips' or shop made buttons which screw into the underside of the top, and hook into the slots. These allow the top to expand and contract from humidity, without cracking anything. Rockler has the z-clips, although they aren't the only source. Google for table top hardware, there are things called figure 8 fasteners that do the job as well.

Ok I will look into the z clips for that. Thanks for the thoughts?

Your table doesn't look substantially more difficult than the coffee table I was finishing off this time last year (here's the link to the project journal, ), though definately go for for M&T joinery over dowels or similar.

Figure-8 connectors and screws are an excellent way of attaching a table top to the frame. 

So curious what would make a good top wood? I was thinking maple or oak or mohagany? Then use the apron as an accent piece maybe with a different color wood? Need something hard since kids will be beating on it.

Or should I keep the table all the same wood?

I was thinking 6/4 thick so when I get it all milled it will be close to 4/4 which should be a good thickness right?

So curious what would make a good top wood? I was thinking maple or oak or mohagany? Then use the apron as an accent piece maybe with a different color wood? Need something hard since kids will be beating on it.

Or should I keep the table all the same wood?

I was thinking 6/4 thick so when I get it all milled it will be close to 4/4 which should be a good thickness right?

Kind of a personal choice there BW..  I guess if I were to ask my wife what she would prefer, she'd say all the same..  In the end, just depends on the look you want to have..

In other words, ask your wife.. ;)