Felt Lining

Barbancourt

Suede-Tex Flocking, especially for irregular shapes and small difficult to access areas. Very nice and professional. http://www.flockit.com/ This mini-flocker kit has the products you'll need. http://www.flockit.com/index.php/products/suede-tex/mini-flocker-kits.htmlwhich can each be purchased separately, too. Woodcraft carries this line of products.

Flocking has a big advantage over felt, in that it won't catch on little protruding bits if the jewelry. After a while, felt starts looking ratty from the loose fibers being pulled out.

Flock it, for sure. Cindy's recommended source is a good place for supplies, and application is super simple, especially if there are tight or irregular spaces to cover.

Do you have a "Hobby Lobby" near by? I buy felt and the self adhesive felt from there.

I'm not sure if they have the flocking kits or not but, the next time I have to line a box, I'll sure find out! ;)

I just saw a video on how to flock small boxes and that is the way I will go next time for sure!    :D

Rog

The self adhesive velvet is really expensive and annoying to install because it stretches.  I buy velveteen by the yard and wrap it around foamboard and glue it on the back side.  The foamboard is cut on the tablesaw so that with the fabric on it it's a press fit into the drawer.  You get a nice clean fit every time and if it ever wears out you can get it out and rewrap the foamboard.  You want velveteen with some cotton content so the glue sticks more easily.  I also make my own ring bars with matching fabric.

I have used velvet, spray adhesive and scrap plastic laminate to make lining panels. I cut the edges with a Xacto knife. I fold the fabric over the top edges that will be exposed.

I have learned to re sharpen Xacto blades with a super fine diamond paddle to get the cleanest cuts on fuzzy fabric.

• Like 1

For lining boxes, I used velvet, leather or felt that I attached to thin cardboard like on the back of a tablet. I rough cut over by one half inch, then cut the corners off at a 45 degree angle. Then glued or taped the 1/2 inch left over to the bottom of the card stock. Just press it in and if ever soiled, you can easily replace it.

This is a "Home Communion" box for our church that I lined with the peal and stick felt from Hobby Lobby. It was about the most complicated lining job I ever did.

(I did fix the front edge before it left the shop.)

I built it about four years ago and it is still in service to this day. But, as I said in a previous post, next time I will try the flocking method.

One thing about the peal and stick felt is that you had better have it cut to the exact size and squarely installed before pealing the back off because there is NO re-positioning it and moving it once it is stuck down. DAMHIK  I would guess that the flocking method is similar as far as "re-doing" it if you goof it up. AIN'T NO WAY to touch it up!

TheSet2IMG_0463.jpg

Upper left corner.....small silver spoon

Left side......Communion wine flask 

Center.....Chalice and wafer tray

Right side...Holy water flask

Upper right corner....Wafer canister

Rog 

If you don't have time to obtain flocking supplies, go for peel and stick velvet over felt. I'm sure places like Michael's Crafts or Hobby Lobby have that. It won't fuzz up like felt.

I would go this route over flocking , I only say that because I'm cheap and flocking is expensive . You don't get much in those little bags from Woodcraft .