Red Fox on the Hunt

davewyo

Way off topic, but here is a link to some photos I took several years ago.

There are a ton of pics and not too much going on, but it's fun if you've never seen a fox hunting in snow:

https://picasaweb.google.com/davewyo1/Fox?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Also here is an album of photos of a Cedar Wax Wing.

It's a very cool bird; appears to be wearing dark sunglasses:

https://picasaweb.google.com/davewyo1/CedarWaxwing

D

I have heard that foxes hunt like that, totally cool that you saw it in person. Great pictures! We had a flock of cedar waxwings once, they came and devoured all the berries on a tree then moved on. I've kept an eye out for them ever since but have never seen them again. Beautiful birds.

Here is a Coopers Hawk hunting in my back yard. I'd like to think he is going after rodentia but I've seen him take a swipe at my bird feeder. Circle of life.

post-5342-0-03446800-1419087873_thumb.jp

Wonderful shot of the Coopers Hawk Cindy!

The birds of prey are such regal characters.

I'm glad ya'll enjoyed the photos.

It was certainly fun to be able to watch those foxes.

Fifteen years ago we had foxes and coyotes in normal proportions. Then something must have happened to the coyotes because we only occasionally saw a coyote but there were foxes everywhere. If I stuck around and watched I could see a half dozen foxes a day out my front window. About three years ago, something happened in the fox population and now the coyotes reign supreme. I haven't seen a fox on the property in a couple of seasons, but I see coyotes quite frequently and I hear them howling a few times per day.

D

P.S.

Got my wife a Red Rider fer the Holidays so she can scare the coyotes away and save our cats.

She didn't say:

"I want a red rider 200 shot carbine action range model air rifle with a compass and this thing which tells time built right in the stock."

...But I know she wants one. :)

Yup, that's the "standard" method around here too.

But we don't mind them, we just don't want them right at the front door and in the barn.

We have tried all kinds of noise-making methods, but the wily devils have only disdain for us.

They know that we are slow and clumsy creatures and don't bother to pay us much attention.

If they come within 50 or 100 feet we'll give them a little sting in the butt.

If things go as they have before it won't be too long and their population will crash, regardless of our actions.

D

There is a definite seven-ish year cycle here with coyote. They over hunt and then move on. Same with the hawks.

Love the foxes. There are swamps here that never stay buried so I do not see a lot of diving. We find foxes chewing the fatty deposits out of the butt and back of road kill deer.