Spindle sander accident

Normally sanding is pretty safe. I was sanding some reindeer that will be stocking stuffers for some people, and the wood wedged between the sanding drum and the little lip for the plate. I tried to free it as I was moving the piece, the piece caught and the reindeer spun like a knife and caught my finger bruising and cutting it. Ouch!

35391dcf6fea8dc3791b81f04b99b2c6.jpg

A kid that works for me just about lost a finger to a 14" grinder sharping jackhammer bit on Friday, I have been letting him come over and use some woodworking stuff at the house, it's all new to him. I keep telling him, every time I show him how to use a tool, "if it has a motor or a blade, it can change your life".

My hands are riddled with scars from sticking them places I shouldn't, lucky to still have them all, Glad it let you keep the thumb nail

Don't need a bandaid, the saw dust will stop the bleeding, just don't get any blood on the product

When I worked in a sheet metal shop, I always told the new guys "When you get cut, not IF but WHEN, always bleed on the product. We will ship the product out but, if you bleed on the floor we will have to live with seeing the blood forever!"

Rog

• Like 1

When I worked in a sheet metal shop, I always told the new guys "When you get cut, not IF but WHEN, always bleed on the product. We will ship the product out but, if you bleed on the floor we will have to live with seeing the blood forever!"

Rog

Not to mention a good old sheet metal bandage..  Usually a wad of some dirty rag and a little duct tape..  ;)

• Like 2

My dad always told me the most dangerous tool in any shop is the drill press. He used to work in a machine shop, and told me that people used to drill without clamping down their work or without putting it against a block to keep it from spinning. Bit would grab the steel or aluminum or whatever they were drilling and would spin. One guy had his torso sliced and had to go to the hospital. People lost fingers, etc. 

Rub some dirt on it and walk it off. Tis' merely a flesh wound.

My personal spindle sander injury is up there on my list of dumbest things I've done in the shop.

The nut on the top was stuck on a burr in the threads and wouldn't come off.  So I figured I'd put the wrench on the nut, hold on tight, and flip on the machine. 

You know how this turns out...I instantly lose grip when my wrist almost snaps off...the wrench never comes off the nut, and it helicopters around, smashing into my fingers and wrist about 40 times in half a second.   Black and blue for a week.