Santa's Workshop Illinois

woodbutcher74

These are some of the Christmas gifts I have been working on this year. Once I master wood working I think I'll take a stab at my photography skills. I doubt if I'll live that long. :P   MERRY CHRISTMAS Everyone and thanks for sharing all the knowledge and comradery this year and look forward to much more in the coming 2015.c0cd7b0d-2310-4e71-8cc9-3e26026a12e4_zpsd33ed4fe-689c-4280-9ebf-f706e82dca47_zpsa8dd4c66-fb1d-4ced-beaa-4f434ea69cc6_zps

• Like 1

The box started out as a regular box made out of 1 1/4" (5/4 for you lumber freaks)cherry. I then cut in the splines and then cut the curves in the box on my bandsaw. I found the board at my local sawmill and thought it was cool and decided to turn it into a gift for my wife. I wish I would have found a more highly figured piece of maple for the top but got rushed by the Holiday.

The box started out as a regular box made out of 1 1/4" (5/4 for you lumber freaks)cherry. I then cut in the splines and then cut the curves in the box on my bandsaw. I found the board at my local sawmill and thought it was cool and decided to turn it into a gift for my wife. I wish I would have found a more highly figured piece of maple for the top but got rushed by the Holiday.

Great work! I really like the box. FWIW : I personally think the lid being more simple does the box more justice than if it were "highly figured". The cherry has nice tasty grain and an over-done lid would have taken away from that. 

Coop, since you like boxes, I highly recommend this book for inspirado. If you're already cut your teeth on a few boxes in the past, the design elements are pretty easy to reverse engineer. Very cool coffee table book. I keep mine in my office.

Like that curved design by the way...I'm making 8 or so for Xmas, and one of my boards in pretty thick. Might be the one I try this on. Great work

ca384a77d0d279c024687cb4e7c5b57c.jpg