My Jointer

AstroDave

Looks like my Powermatic jointer will have to wait until after XMas... It has been delivered to WoodCraft but it turns out I will need to get a professional mover to get it into my basement.  So I've called a few piano movers to get quotes.  The thing is over 700lbs and a beast...plus to get it into my house it will have to come down a slight incline on grass through a gate up a step...across hardwood floor...down a step and then up a step into my shop :)  Should be fun to watch but not to pay for...

I'll never forget the day my uncle and I picked my grizzly G0495x up and put in on the mobile base. 

we pulled it off without a hitch, but you could just feel the weight of that thing and I'm just glad it's over. :)

My dad and I moved a G0593. He's 67 years old, and the machine weighs like 500 pounds. Was quite interesting.

On the downside, jointers are bulky… On the upside, if worse comes to worse, it’s usually not that hard to remove the tables… And since you’ve usually got to shim them anyway, it might not be that much wasted work…

One thing, make sure any company you hire is licensed and has insurance… Once tools get up in weight, they can become serious safety hazards… There have been a few close calls in my shop, but one and only one accident (knock wood)… A member of the rigging team got a finger between a wide-belt sander and the concrete floor…

T, I take that to mean mean you're glad you had your 67 yo Dad with ya?

My dad helped me move my table saws, my jointer, my bandsaws. He's the only one I can get to help me move tools, everyone else backs out. 

400 actually. Mine is actually 600lbs. Sorry, I just didn't want you to steal my thunder like that.  :lol:  Nothing but love kid.  :wub:

418 I just looked it up. Still for a 67 year old man he's a beast.

• Like 1

PB I will gladly welcome your daughters...mine are home for the holidays and other than encouragement they are no help :)

FYI it looks like I will end up going with a Safe mover...they are insured and have the proper equipment to safely move this beast.

Update: I found a piano mover that is bonded and insured that will do it for a reasonable price...

Update... the piano movers will be delivering the jointer tomorrow morning.  They will get it to the house uncrate it...moved to it's final position all for $385.  Which based on other quotes of upwards of $1000 wasn't bad.  So if all goes well my jointer will be smokin by tomorrow night :)  Well hopefully not really smokin but you catch my drift...are you picking up what I'm layin down...are ya jive with my lingo... sorry just a little excited :)