Dinner table journal ... Here we go!

bushwacked

Foam brushes are contrary but essential. Looks like you mastered it. Good job!

Well I wouldn't say mastered but I have stumbled upon a technique that works for me. Oddly enough normal brushes beat me down and I have the brush lines I can't get rid of and a non even surface. I need a ton more practice with those.

Well I wouldn't say mastered but I have stumbled upon a technique that works for me. Oddly enough normal brushes beat me down and I have the brush lines I can't get rid of and a non even surface. I need a ton more practice with those.

I had the same issues with brushes. I thought I was buying good brushes because I was buying the $22 Purdy one from home Depot.

A woodworker friend gave me a really nice natural bristle and a synthetic bristle brush when I was applying dye to my door project. Those things laid down the dye so well I couldn't even mess it up. After dipping it, the brush wouldn't even allow the dye back out unless I really tried. Found out later he gets then from some high end paint e-store and pays $60 a Piece for them. A really good brush helps.

e67acd78ea4d0ff050c83ac4a86eb48c.jpg

There we go for the night. All 4 pieces in different stages of being done.

Bottom of the table top has its 2nd topcoat

Table base has first coat of stain

Bench base is done

Bench seat has one edge that needs topcoat and it will be done.

It is coming along now pretty quick I think. Another few weeks and I might be done??

Looking good! Your build pace is pretty close to mine.

Thanks! Haha ya it's taken way longer than I was hoping. Family and work are definitely an added time I did not calculate for and if I would have going in I still would have been way off

Oh well still a blast making this

• 1 month later...

I like the look of well finished end grain. It shows that your table is solid wood not veneer and particleboard !

In the future put a few extra coats on the end grain during the process to build up the film then a couple of full coats on everything.

I can see the reflection of the floor joists above in the bench so you've achieved a nice finish. Be very careful sanding near corners. It is so easy to sand thru the stain and it can be a bitch to touch up. I usually break all my corners to prevent this and keep the surface tension of the finish from pulling back from a sharp corner. It can be less than a 1/16th radius and still be affective .