Dinner table journal ... Here we go!

bushwacked

Obviously you don't want to split the wood but, you'll need to decide if you want your aprons set back a bit.  I usually set mine back about 1/8".

With the domino, working from your reference face, cut the moritses in the aprons first and then adjust the depth of the domino and do the legs.  This ensures that all your set backs are uniform all the way around the table.

If you want them flush with the legs, then no adjustment to the domino.

Edit: Nearly forgot - Have some test pieces available to be sure you get the look you want on the keeper pieces!

Obviously you don't want to split the wood but, you'll need to decide if you want your aprons set back a bit. I usually set mine back about 1/8".

With the domino, working from your reference face, cut the moritses in the aprons first and then adjust the depth of the domino and do the legs. This ensures that all your set backs are uniform all the way around the table.

If you want them flush with the legs, then no adjustment to the domino.

Edit: Nearly forgot - Have some test pieces available to be sure you get the look you want on the keeper pieces!

Ah thanks for that tip. Yep will definitely be hitting up some test strips before I get on the real thing.

This thread is perfect timing since I am in the later stages of planning to build a table very similar for my grandparents for a surprise to replace their current crappy MDF table.

Cool. Hopefully this build can help you out.

It's coming along quick.

I'm going to enjoy this build.

Just out of curiosity...what is in the mustard bottle?

Is that your re-purposed glue bottle, or are you making sandwiches on your work table?

Ya it is about to slow down with all the sanding about to have to happen.

Haha it is mustard for sandwiches

Yep. It is still in the early stages so I will definitely be trying to put it in her head that it's ugly and looks cheap. We shall see how that goes. Some battles are just not worth the casualties haha

Often, If you build it right, and say nothing about the construction, it becomes a moot point and missed completely!

I would inset the aprons on the bench and table. Sometimes it's easier to receive forgiveness than it is permission.....

Ya after giving it a lot of thought. I think I will be doing that instead of original plan. If she hates it that much I can practice again making a new table haha. Either way a win win.

Check the price tags.. Becomes a little hard to justify..

Oooh now i see what yall are saying.

Although after digging more into I hear you cannot stop them even at low speeds? That seems like it would be a plus to putting screws in slowly under control. Maybe not? All I know is my dewalt will stop at low speeds if the force is enough. Have not got to play with my makitas yet though.

Although after digging more into I hear you cannot stop them even at low speeds? That seems like it would be a plus to putting screws in slowly under control.

Festool drill: A million dollars

Harbor Freight screwdriver: 99 cents

Not cracking the project you've been working on for two months: priceless

If you're needing that much torque on a piece of furniture that a screw is stopping your drill, you're using too much torque and your pilot hole is too small.  You should be able to easily turn a screw into hardwood with a little bit of wax.  Expensive drills not required.

• Like 1

Festool drill: A million dollars

Harbor Freight screwdriver: 99 cents

Not cracking the project you've been working on for two months: priceless

If you're needing that much torque on a piece of furniture that a screw is stopping your drill, you're using too much torque and your pilot hole is too small. You should be able to easily turn a screw into hardwood with a little bit of wax. Expensive drills not required.

Oh gotcha. That makes sense then. So why is that such a big marketing ploy? Just cause they can? Saves lazy people from having to actually use a screw driver?