Injuries

amateur eric

Was 18 yrs old at WyoTech and mounting a Chrysler transmission to the work bench. The bolt holes were stripped out as it fell to the floor. 18 yr old student (me) thought I'll catch it. At the last minute I realized how stupid and the only part I didn't get out of the way fast enough was the big toe on my left foot. Totally exploded it in my show. Back i. The shop the next day without crutches. Too cool for those at 18.

Woodworking a couple weeks ago ripping ply with my cordless circ saw the guard kept catching when starting the cut. Held the gard out of the way but rested my pinky and ring finger against the blade. Pulled the triggers and forced my fingernails to be trimmed very quickly. Only a little blood but a life lesson.

Was 18 yrs old at WyoTech and mounting a Chrysler transmission to the work bench. The bolt holes were stripped out as it fell to the floor. 18 yr old student (me) thought I'll catch it. At the last minute I realized how stupid and the only part I didn't get out of the way fast enough was the big toe on my left foot. Totally exploded it in my show. Back i. The shop the next day without crutches. Too cool for those at 18.

Woodworking a couple weeks ago ripping ply with my cordless circ saw the guard kept catching when starting the cut. Held the gard out of the way but rested my pinky and ring finger against the blade. Pulled the triggers and forced my fingernails to be trimmed very quickly. Only a little blood but a life lesson.

That should be a lesson to all 18 yo, careful what ya mount

Auto mechanics in high school, best friend had his Z28 on the lift, putting in a clutch. T56 is on the transfer jack, next it was in my arms. Got real cut up and bruised, but held it. Strong like bull, baby.

This is pale compared to some of the above. This past weekend, I was running some boards thru the planer which was attached to the HF dc. I noticed that the clear dc hose was stopped up at the entrance to the dc. This particular dc has a wye at the impeller/motor, one side connected to the hose, the other side is capped. I shut everything down and allowed the impeller time to wind down, I thought! I took the cap off of the wye and stuck my hand up in there to clear the blockage. My middle finger stopped the rotation of the impeller. Had I done it few seconds earlier, it wouldn't have been pretty.

How in the hell did you do that? Mine is the original 80 and the blade extends above the handle and I can see that, but yours doesn't?

I guess I kinda had my finger wrapped over the top and I caught a slice.  That wenge is tough stuff to scrape...you can get a little worked up over it. :D  It was really just a little nick.  I need to wrap some blue tape over that edge.

My first real woodworking injury was with a chisel. I was cutting a mortise by hand, and everything was clamped down.

I took off the clamps, and noticed a bit of material that needed touch up. I HELD the workpiece with one hand and used the chisel with the other for this 3 second cut. Well, the piece blew out and I ended up with 7 stitches in my left thumb. Chisel was uber sharp, so at least it healed cleanly.

A few years later I was splitting firewood with a splitting maul. One of the pieces split funny and flew back at me, hitting my right hand between the two smallest knuckles. Broken hand, and it still bothers me from time to time.

I haven't cut anything off, but I've had dozens of minor accidents.

Just the other day I was fitting a mortise and tenon and Wow! was that thing tight.

While trying to wiggle it off it released suddenly and hit me in the nose.

All I could think of was Christopher Walken to Dennis Hopper:

"That smarts, doesn't it? Getting slammed in the nose. $#%&s you all up. You get that pain shootin' through your brain, your eyes fill up with water. That ain't any kind of fun,..."

Years ago i was ripping a 2x4 on edge using an old craftsman contractors saw. At the time i had no real understanding of KB. I was standing in the bad zone when the short 2by came a flying back. It hit my stomache at mach speed and dropped me like a stone. Luckily i had no internal damage. I did have a raised red mark perfectly shaped like the end of a 2x4 in the center of my gut. The pain was pretty horrific.