Desert Sunset Clock

mlehikoinen

I had thought about Marc's previous articles about being either a creator, a copier or a modifier. Being a new woodworker, I believe that many of us start out as copiers. That is we make things that we can measure ourselves against. I'm definitely in that zone right now, but wanted to stretch myself and make 1 project where I didn't copy or emulate from anyone, but rather came up with my own design. I decided to do it with this clock. I don't have enough skill to design a piece of furniture. Yet. One day maybe, but I'm digressing. The main factor in this decision was a suggestion that I make a desk or mantle clock as a Christmas gift.

After puttering for a while with a sketch pad for a number of different shapes, I came up with the design. It wasn't really much to speak of, but when I got to the wood selection, I found a perfect scrap of walnut that when I held it in a certain orientation, it looked like a sunset where the sun had fallen below the horizon but the sky was still lit up with a myriad of bands of colour reflecting off of cirrus type clouds, darkening the further up overhead you looked. I then decided that the base should be made from cherry to reflect the idea of a copper glow of sand from the orange sunset.

So here is what I came up with. I finished it with several coats of 1 lb cut shellac (garnet) and rubbing it out with brown paper after the final coat. The clock face was ordered from Bear Woods Supply where the prices are a little more attractive than LV for clock parts.

Please feel free to comment on anything from the photography to the project itself. I'm looking to eventually start selling some pieces and want to be able to present them professionally. Unfortunately I don't have a set of studio lighting, so suggestions on alternatives are welcome as well. Thanks for looking and reading my long winded pre-amble. :D

Desert%20Sunset%20clock02.jpg

Desert%20Sunset%20clock01.jpg

Mike,

That is very cool. Since they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I think i shall flatter you by making a similar one for my Step-Daughter and her husband who live in Tucson, AZ. Definately desert out there :-)

You seem to be off to a great start for selling pieces. Great eye. Wish mine was as good.

Don

p.s. gotta love that brown paper for the final finish, huh? :)

Lovely piece, very simple lines. I think you need a different background for the photos, and don't use flash. Wait for a bit of sunshine, even outdoors. It'll look much better and natural. Use a neutral backgound, then you can substitute the background with some matching tones...

Here's an awful mockup made with The Gimp (I'm not a graphics designer - did I need to mention that?)

post-2037-0-41917800-1289346376_thumb.jp

John

GNU Image Manipulation Program (open source - free as in speech and beer, similar, but not as powerful as Photoshop) available for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.

Looks like there are a few Linux User Groups around Ontario who can probably give a helping hand - where I go they don't even mind that you don't have Linux...

Love the clock, Mike; garnet shellac on walnut is really nice. I'm not a photographer, but I agree with John. The flash is obvious. If you had daylight and a tripod, you could really catch nice shots. I've seen some shots people make with their smaller projects on folds of velvet. Looks very classy.