Sad attempt at jewelry box.

bushwacked

Well this was my attempt at making a jewelry storage box for the wife for Christmas. After multiple template fails I ended up with a pretty rough box. Although it's the thought that counts I did find some major short comings with my shop setup during this build. Mainly no easy way to clamp anything down to my workbench. Made it tough to use the router which lead to lots of pressure on a double sided sticky tape and it failing so I had to reseat the template which never lined up correctly again.

So this is what I ended up with. I did get to play with my chisels and work on finishing with shelac so I did learn along the way which is all that matters.

Without further ado.. A jewelry box???

01d94ec19a3a711f4ff1f48cd46daf5f.jpg

8c4eec607a200838562070e6a4d15044.jpg

Learning your workflow and shop shortcomings is a big first step to correcting them. It all looks very fixable..

Interesting design!

Yep learned lots with it.

I'm sure your wife won't think it's sad.

Compare it to the one you'll make her next year and measure your progress.

True. Next year will be a lot better and will be interesting to see the difference.

Looks well thought out. Nice selection on the grain and positioning. The mistakes are hidden under the top and definitely fixable. We all make mistakes, at least yours didn't fly across the shop =)

Thanks!

Ya just wish the mahogany was not so dark. Almost looks black. Need to work on getting it lighter next time. Maybe sanding to possibly 320??

Thanks!

Ya just wish the mahogany was not so dark. Almost looks black. Need to work on getting it lighter next time. Maybe sanding to possibly 320??

Wood selection can be tricky when you're shooting for a certain look..  Sanding the mahogany more probably won't make that big of a difference.  If you want a lighter look and you want to use mahogany, grab a lighter board from your HW dealer or choose a different direction.

You learned a lot of good stuff on this one!  No reason to hang your head, you gave it a very fair go and everything there is fixable!  Hell, when you get the design perfected you'll remember this one the most.  Not because of how it looked but, because of the learning!  

Bushwhacked, that is nothing to be ashamed of. It is certainly better than many if the things I have turned out over the years.

I can offer one suggestion, since it is for jewelry - flock the interior. It will provide a soft surface for the contents, and will also soften / hide many irregularities in the routed cavity.

• Like 2

Wood selection can be tricky when you're shooting for a certain look.. Sanding the mahogany more probably won't make that big of a difference. If you want a lighter look and you want to use mahogany, grab a lighter board from your HW dealer or choose a different direction.

You learned a lot of good stuff on this one! No reason to hang your head, you gave it a very fair go and everything there is fixable! Hell, when you get the design perfected you'll remember this one the most. Not because of how it looked but, because of the learning!

Ya I know you're right I'm just setting my sights more than I should. That's just how I am. It will mean a great deal to the wife though.

Bushwacked I think we both learned a ton on our respective projects... Good on you for taking the challenge of the jewelry box. My wife wants one but I was too chicken to try and pull it off.

Ya it's not too bad. I suggest make time to build 2. First one will be bad but you learn so much the 2nd will be a lot better.

I have one of those...a little "jewelry box" I made for my wife with scraps left over after I installed our hardwood floors. My first non-construction woodworking project. It's awful...gaps in joinery, lid is twisted, grain makes absolutely no sense, and the design itself is just flat stupid looking. But she loved it, and she keeps it on top of the dresser despite my many requests to throw it in the trash. I've kind of grown fond of it over the years because it reminds me of the beginning. You'll feel the same way eventually.

Ya I just need time to pass and hopefully my skill improves so I can see the difference haha

Bushwhacked, that is nothing to be ashamed of. It is certainly better than many if the things I have turned out over the years.

I can offer one suggestion, since it is for jewelry - flock the interior. It will provide a soft surface for the contents, and will also soften / hide many irregularities in the routed cavity.

Hmmm good idea I will look into that.

I know you feel disappointed but the only sad part about it would have been if you never even tried. Wood working is like life, you learn as you go. I'm sure Sam Maloof didn't hit a home run when he first started. Come to think about it I don't think he played baseball.

Haha true true.

I suggest a new title for the post - "**FIRST** attempt at a jewelry box". There's nothing sad about a great design, good execution of grain on the lid, and a desire to learn from your experience. I echo the statement that she'll love it because it's from you.

Ya I was really happy the grain worked out well. Just need to work on the accent corners next time since those came out really dark.

BW - a few thoughts on your routing and work-clamping comments.....

- I've had luck using non-stick rubbery matts when routing. Seems to do a good job keeping the workpiece from sliding around. I'm not sure where we got it - we had it on hand from when we put it underneath the kids' car seats to keep them from sliding on the leather seats, and it's come in handy. I have some bench "pucks" I use that are along the same lines.

- When clamping a piece to your workbench - one technique is to attach a clamp to the workpiece as a "handle", and then clamping THAT to the bench. Works well with small parallel clamps like the Jets or Besseys.

BW - a few thoughts on your routing and work-clamping comments.....

- I've had luck using non-stick rubbery matts when routing. Seems to do a good job keeping the workpiece from sliding around. I'm not sure where we got it - we had it on hand from when we put it underneath the kids' car seats to keep them from sliding on the leather seats, and it's come in handy. I have some bench "pucks" I use that are along the same lines.

- When clamping a piece to your workbench - one technique is to attach a clamp to the workpiece as a "handle", and then clamping THAT to the bench. Works well with small parallel clamps like the Jets or Besseys.

Thanks for the thoughts. Those rubber mats I know what you are talking about I think I can get them at Home Depot. I will try that and see how that goes.

As for the clamps that seems like a good plan. I will definitely be trying that next time.

Did you route the entire space out of the center? Next time you might try hogging the most of it out with a forstner bit. A lot less pressure on the router bit. Also a bowl bit would cut smoother in the corners and bottom. Just trying to help.

Yep hogged out most with Forstner bit. Ya I only found out about this bowl bit in a recent video of Marc's. I just used a flush trim bit for this.

• 5 weeks later...

Certainly don't beat yourself up.  I've been turning for a couple years, and thought I'd make napkin rings this year for gifts.  Well, my wife decided 6 sets were required -- 24 rings!  Wow, that was tougher than I thought.  I got discouraged, but they started getting better pretty quickly.  That last set I made was pretty nice.  :)

Practice does make perfect, or at least close enough with plenty of sanding ...

• 5 weeks later...

I think you did rather well! Anything that is made by your own hands says a lot to someone about your heart. Yes, it would have been easier to go out and buy something but you took the time to make something from your heart with your own two hands. That is worth more my friend!

You will also get better over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk