Jewelry box I made for the wife's Christmas.

ColinF

Made this out of curly maple and walnut for loosing the wood magazine plans, I'm still not sure I'm crazy about the drawer "slides" but they work well enough. The wife liked it and that's what counts, not to mention I feel relieved to not being living with my web of lies to prevent her from knowing I was building something for her!51C4545F-070F-4782-9126-49940F0DA081.jpg

E4C47E7D-198C-4429-A771-3D25685E34C7.jpg

2C6EE230-7CD0-4E6C-92CC-9B76ED064ABD.jpg

• Like 2

The Web of lies is the hardest part, this year I was putting the finishing touches on some 'birdhouses" for quite a lot of hours. Suspicion was level orange.

thanks guys! I made my daughter a framed mirror to so I used that as an excuse but the wife was getting suspicious about the amount of time it was taking me to make 4 half lap miters and get a couple coats of finish on it! It was touch and go a few times!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I keep coming back to this post and am truly impressed with how my eye finds new details each time. Lots of unique details with repeating themes without being overly busy… that can be a difficult thing to do. Congrats on a great build!

thank you, but I can't take all the credit, I just followed the plans from a magazine, it is a pretty design, the first time I saw it it struck me as simple, but elegant. There are some things I don't like about it, the drawer slides for instance are a piece of hardboard that fit into a dado on the inside of the case and the drawer slides on it via a dado cut into the drawer sides. It was really difficult to get everything lined up, and I had to go in and cut those runners out once to get the drawers fitted right. I think maybe a simple hardboard shelf the drawer sits on with a stop glued on would be just as effective and much easier to construct.