Grew up in a wood shop, just getting back to it after 20 years

LindsayannB

Hello, 

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Lindsay and I'm from Connecticut. I'm a computer programmer / web developer and I am just getting back into wood working for the first time since I was a kid! I basically grew up in a wood shop. When I was young my mom was a stay at home mom and my dad was an engineer and loved to build things. On their free time they used to make loads and loads of decorative and some functional wood products and sell them on the weekends at the local craft fairs. Me, being the old, was the helper in the shop and when I turned 10 I was allowed to star using the scroll saw to make my own things. Once my parents got too busy to do this the wood shop in our basement kind of turned into storage and I haven't really done much wood working since then. 

Recently while redecorating my house with my husband I was looking at furniture for hundreds of dollars thinking 'I could totally make that!' so for Xmas I asked for a few power tools and here i am!!! I JUST got my first set of my own power tools a few days ago. I have a hand router, a jig saw, a circular saw, and a nice table scroll saw. I also have a decent power drill and some hand tools. I was torn between the circular table saw or the scroll saw but my mom decided for me and got me the scroll saw. I'm ok with it. I am hoping I can do some fast(ish) cuts with my jig saw and a guide. 

ANYWAYS, this has become quite long... so there it is. 

I have attached the first real piece of furniture I made to show off a little :) 

It's a maple board shelving unit made from metal pipes I bought and had cut at Home Depot. Not much wood working here, but I'm pretty proud of the stain job. It's a dark walnut stain with white wash over it on maple wood. 

OOOPS/ No idea why my attachments look like that. Here's better pics 
lxuBGqM.jpg?1

azogSxc.jpg?1

post-16610-0-79614900-1419725366_thumb.j

post-16610-0-49960200-1419725386_thumb.j