OSB vs. Sheetrock

sdkidaho

I'm trying to decide on what to use in my shop for walls and ceiling: OSB or Sheetrock.

I haven't priced out either but I'm guessing they will be similar in cost. My thought on using the OSB was that it would be more durable, less likely to get banged up and the fact that you can hang anything anywhere without worrying about anchors or finding a stud.

I'm sure I'm missing something so that's why I'm posting. Are there any downsides to using OSB instead of sheetrock?

Thanks,

Darby

I have a sheet of OSB I've been trying to use for two years. It doesn't work well for templates, I can't get it to keep screws very well (maybe too much weight, but they keep pulling out), and it's still rough to the touch. I did use up most of another sheet as shelving, and it performed admirably at that task for me. But my money would be on the sheetrock for walls. Yes, you still have to mud the joints, and sand, and paint, but the finish will be much more consistent for reflected light off the sheet rock than off the OSB. (assuming two coats of paint only, and nothing to prime/seal the OSB for paint.

If you don't want to go the painting route, then OSB becomes the better option, however, as you are already saying "pfah" to the reflected light issue. (maybe you can see in the dark, or have enough source lights to overcome this issue. I don't know.)

Price wise, they aren't that far apart (at least where I'm at), but as far as the issue of light reflection and sound insulation, I would go with sheetrock. Sheetrock will absorb more sound vibrations than the OSB (quieter shop), and reflects light much better, as already posted. Unless you plan on hanging your tools on nails, you would have to make some sort of bracket for either, and with SR, you would just have to put a ledger up that spans 16".

No, lighting is definitely a concern and I had intended to paint the OSB, but those are good points to consider. I'm not sure on what code is as far as using OSB vs sheetrock - my building has already been inspected and passed off as far as the structure and electrical goes.

I'm not opposed to sheetrock, I was just of the mindset that the OSB would handle bumps and dings better, but lighting as you mentioned would be better with sheetrock, even if it wasn't painted (but I would want to paint anyway). So at this point, that's two votes for sheetrock and zero for OSB.

I'll have to check costs - I do think they are similar but I could be way off on that.

Even in my shop, I don't find that the drywall gets banged up that much. But even if it does, it's super easy to repair. Also OSB may indeed be a little stronger for holding screws, but not so much that I wouldn't find a stud for anything heavy. To me, drywall looks better, and is easier to work with, and would definitely be my choice.

Add me to sheetrock. I usually put a stick of hardwood on the wall where I want to hang heavy stuff. Kinda convenient and looks better anyway. Most things hang just fine on sheetrock if you get the decent picture hangers or toggle bolts for heavy stuff away from a stud.

I bought a sheet of OSB as a sacrificial substrate for a project. The off-gassing would give me a headache in minutes. I eventually left it on the driveway in the AZ sun for a week to burn that off. Even if you have older OSB, the lighter off-gassing but more boards might just kill you off with the fumes. So if you decide on OSB, could you leave a note for the wife that Paul-Marcel wants first dibs on your jointer? thanks...

Yeah Thanks,, This has been a great topic, I too have decided to go with gypsum board as well. I will have to borrow my buddies Bazooka to aid in applying the tape and mud.

Definitely Mahoganus! If you have access to professional tools, use 'em. Well, except stilts, I'd fall and kill myself.

Wow - that's a slick piece of equipment!

I've never done the mud part of sheetrocking - I've only ever hung it and even that's been quite some time ago. I did a little construction work in my youth as I had some family that does that type of work to make a living. I just remember the panels being heavy and that was when I was young and in shape!

I'll Buck the trend. As an owner installed item, don't sweat code. 3/4" OSB T&G subflooring is cheap & dead flat. It'll make great sheathing. And will hold a screw very well.

I'd then recommend you paint the interior with FireOut TopCoat by GAF and then white paint.

It'll make a solid, fire resistant and damage proof wall.

• 2 weeks later...

I used OSB, primed it and painted it with a gloss white. One thing I did do before painting it was fill the cracks with drywall mud. It looks great and has held up beautifully. Here is a picture of the OSB installed with mud over the screws and seams. If I had to do it all over again I would stick with the OSB but paint it on the floor and then hang it.

post-520-0-71077100-1290564798_thumb.jpg

If you live in a place that gets terribly cold in the winter and hot in summer like I do, I would go with the sheetrock - the insulation factor is much higher than OSB. My builders are going to mark where each stud is on the sheetrock so I'll always know where they are. Of course I'll have to re-mark after painting, but I still think it's worth the trouble.

My builders are going to mark where each stud is on the sheetrock so I'll always know where they are. Of course I'll have to re-mark after painting, but I still think it's worth the trouble.

put a hole protector on the floor below the marks, so you can transfer them again. Assuming, of course, that you don't have carpet down yet. (because everybody's shop should be a lounge, right?)

I have OSB walls and ceiling tiles on the ceiling(where else) and couldn't be happier. If I move a cabinet on the wall I just take a little colored wood filler and you will never see where it was, no need to patch and paint. The other great thing is no dirty looking walls, between the dust and handprints a bright wall can look dirty pretty quick. I personally prefer the osb but can also see why others prefer the sheetrock.

Nate

If you live in a place that gets terribly cold in the winter and hot in summer like I do, I would go with the sheetrock - the insulation factor is much higher than OSB. My builders are going to mark where each stud is on the sheetrock so I'll always know where they are. Of course I'll have to re-mark after painting, but I still think it's worth the trouble.

Samantha,

while it's true that sheetrock has better insulating values than OSB, that's mostly due to it's air barrier qualities since it is typically spackled and sealed. That said, neither can compare to properly installed and air sealed insulation. I'd advise to let the insulation do the insulating and use the sheathing you feel is best for you sheathing needs.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to go with OSB. I really cant stand sheet rock. For the main reason that when you put a nail in it, it just don't hold..

You may as well put cardboard up with some tape and glue..

There's not to much to putting OSB up. What I am about to tell you may surprise you. But I put up OSB in the living room and kitchen of my home and I am very pleased with it.. And if you ever make a hole in the wall, like with a nail or screw and you don't want it there any more just buy you some white caulking from the,, you know depot. And the best part about it. Its easy to install..

No tape and float....... :D:D:D

Another option is this siding panel from HD. It's more expensive than OSB but looks a heckuva lot better(the texture isn't nearly as pronounced as they show in their photo), holds screws and nails probably just as well, and it's preprimed on the face side so all you have to do is roll on a couple coats of flat latex and back-brush the v-grooves. No nasty drywall dust, mud, tape, or sanding. It's a Masonite/hardboard product, 3/8" thick with shiplap edges.

Here are a couple of photos(apologies for the mess):

post-1150-0-76146700-1292772222_thumb.jp

post-1150-0-56740100-1292772236_thumb.jp

I was gonna use 1/2" BC ply for walls but stumbled across this, it looks a lot better and paints up really nice.

HTH,

Bill

Another option is this siding panel from HD. It's more expensive than OSB but looks a heckuva lot better(the texture isn't nearly as pronounced as they show in their photo), holds screws and nails probably just as well, and it's preprimed on the face side so all you have to do is roll on a couple coats of flat latex and back-brush the v-grooves. No nasty drywall dust, mud, tape, or sanding. It's a Masonite/hardboard product, 3/8" thick with shiplap edges.

Here are a couple of photos(apologies for the mess):

post-1150-0-76146700-1292772222_thumb.jp

post-1150-0-56740100-1292772236_thumb.jp

I was gonna use 1/2" BC ply for walls but stumbled across this, it looks a lot better and paints up really nice.

HTH,

Bill

Bill,

the siding panels look like a nice alternative to Sheetrock in terms of ease of installation and fastener holding. While they also beat OSB in terms of ease of installation because OSB has actual intact wood fibers (small pieces, yes, but still real wood as opposed to sawdust) it has far superior fastener holding ability than panels made from Masonite. Masonite is similar to MDF in that it's made of sawdust which cannot properly hold a screw thread. Also, the siding panels are limited in their thickness to 3/8" for about $12-$14 dollars a sheet you can pick up a sheet of 3/4" T&G OSB. While 3/4" may seem like overkill (and it is very heavy) it's certainly cheap enough for me. And by using 3/4" OSB to sheath the walls I can attached whatever I want wherever I want and not worry about hitting studs (except for my lumber rack, which I will attach to the studs).

At the end of the day, whichever way you to (sheet rock, paneling or OSB) comes down what you think is most important. Any way, you'll be well sheathed.

• 8 months later...

I just wrestled with this issue, and have decided for sheetrock. It's cheaper, has better sound and temperature insulating properties and it's cheaper. I was tempted by plywood, but it prices the project out of my reach for a shop I'm only planning on keeping for a couple of years. Sure it has it's cons, I worry about putting holes in it, and you can't hang anything on it. I'm going to solve the holding problem with french cleats secured to the studs and fabricate some peg board on cleats for areas where I want to hang tools on the walls. When I move shop the fixtures can come with me as well as the cleats. Did I mention sheetrock is cheaper? But ultimately I think it's the insulating qualities that sold me, after dealing with one of the hottest summers on record, I want my AC to work well when installed, and keep my operating costs down.