OSB vs. Sheetrock

sdkidaho

I used sheetrock painted with a semigloss enamel. The big advantage is the smooth surface doesn't hold the dust as much as the rough surface of OSB. I hang stuff on french cleats that are screwed to the studs so I don't need the strength of OSB. A swipe with the spackling knife and a daub of paint and the dings and holes are gone.

I think if I was going to go with any sort of wood product it would be LP smart side t 1 11. Its just very dense osb but has a baked on primer on the outside. Its very hard and is tough to get a nail through it. But since wood interior walls that are not over sheet rock do not meet code I'm just sticking with sheet rock, no sense in two wall layers. Id suggest checking your insurance policy. Most have a clause for material, process and workmanship defects that can exclude the extra damage that is going to be caused by using osb in case of a fire. Putting osb on the walls would be thought of as a homeowner remodel work leaving you solely responsible for not building to code. On the other hand if its a detached shop it doesn't matter what you use as long as it doesn't cause the damage to be worse. The interior wall and energy codes do not apply unless you have a furnace or ac in your detached shop. My shop is being built without anything and I'll go back later and do the insulation and drywall work. If it was an attached shop then it would have to be insulated and sheet rocked for the occupancy inspection.

Don

I guess I disagree with less fire protection being okay if it's detached, but that's from the perspective of someone who may have to go into one of these when it's burning. Anything that keeps a room and contents fire from becoming a structural fire is better for the firefighter. Of course it's my responsibility to decide when it's safe to enter, not the homeowner's, but I feel the same way about modern trusses and glu-lam beams.