re-finishing custom table with different inlays- color correction help needed

Anne Sansone

My house has a built in dining area. I't about 30 years old and hasn't been well taken care of. There were gashes and dark rings, and it was just in horrible condition. The front door is made by the same artist and saving the table is super important to me. So, I'm re-finishing it. There are different types of wood, and I had to bleach out the dark rings. The picture with the window in it is another problem area. Most of the table is sun-bleached, just not that strip on the edge. I know it looks like a shadow, but I promise it's not. 

So, I removed the finish and hand-sanded the whole thing making sure to go with the grain, I bleached out the black rings and am bleaching the surrounding area to blend it in. So my question is this... 

How do I stain this thing to get the main colors as even as possible, while maintaining the different shades and grains of the inlays?

I don't have any before pics but this is where I am now. 

post-16612-0-23319100-1419792955_thumb.g

post-16612-0-68350900-1419792965_thumb.g

post-16612-0-67546500-1419805557_thumb.j

• Like 1

Ok, I couldn't figure out how to post the pic here on my update so I edited the pics above. 

It ended up not needing as much help as I thought it would but it's still pretty bad in the middle, and a little light on the outer edge (near the right of the photo)

The only thing I can think of is to bleach the whole center area and stain that.  Hopefully there's a better way?

Stain is going to be a bad idea on an inlaid top. You can use "natural " stain which has no color in it to bring out the rich tones. A poly , oil ,shellac or varnish will add some Amber tones which may be what you are after.

But please don't try to use colored stain, especially on just one area. It might be possible to use a very weak stain, like 9 parts natural to 1 part stain to slightly tint the entire top but be very cautious.

Anne, it appears that most of the damage falls within thw "water" portion of the pond, correct? And it also appears that the leaves and stones sit slightly proud of the "water", correct? If that is so, you might be able to carefully brush a stain or dye mixture onto the " water" background to even its color, yet leave the remainder of the inlay as it is. I certainly would not recommend applying a color to the entire table, that would obscure the appearance of the inlay considerably.

If the leaves and stones are actually flush with tbe rest of the surface, I wouldn't try this, as there is too much chance of the color bleeding into area where it isn't wanted.

• Like 1

The white screams. An off color or change in texture may grab your attention. I think we all just want to be sure you don't have too great an expectation. I would probably try a thinned coat of shellac. It will bond to any stray old finish or glue. It can be wiped off with alcohol if something goes badly. It will cover with most any other finish you can dream.

that's totally fair. I know it will never be like new, at this point I'll settle for passing. I'm not sure which Is worse. The original Black ring or this horrible white. At least I have a plan now. 

1. Dilute stain and play with it til I get the color as good as I can.

2. Blend to the rest of area

3. Thinned coat of shellac to test

4. either Poly finish or wipe off and keep playing. 

5. If all else fails, rebuild the table so the problem area is at least to the back :)

Thanks for all the help!

So it is not perfect. It has been used. It will never again be perfect. So what is left? There is no tell tale ring. I do not see the tell-tale "wet or hot cup was set here." I do see some color variation but it is a pond. Are the edges of discoloration as blended as they appear to be? There will be a gloss to the finish that will trick the eye and obscure some of that raking view. This may not be quite as bad as you imagine.

Edit: If you go for editing the veneer, do not try to replace the whole pond but rather creatively add a leaf or stone. It will cut your investment way down.

The edges are blended pretty well, and I guess you're right, it is better than it was... Adding a leaf or stone is a great idea! I never thought of that. I was looking at veneer sheets and they're more expensive than I thought. 

If I did go that route would I need to do? Would I need a backed piece of veneer? What would I be getting myself into? veneering is a whole new realm of WW that I've never done. 

Same here. I am just trying to help you process thoughts. There are threads here on veneer if you work the search function and there is a lot available on YouTube these days. I think Marc even has a project on the free site. I will dig. You will want to focus on inlay as that is the process of excavating to apply a shape. If this kind of work is enjoyable to you, learning that process will be a valuable triumph.

If I could take the table with me I'd totally put koi in it! That would be awesome. Sadly it doesn't match the house and would be weird, unless I put fish other places too...

I'm designing some leaves as I type and I'm thinking I'm going to carve it by hand. The router looks easier, but I don't have one and I don't have the attachment for my dremel. If I come back to it I'll probably invest in those tools. A RO sander is probably first on my list to get though. 

I love this board.