Little box

bradpotts

I decided I wanted to make a box for my parents because they were talking about selling their house. I wanted to make something to remind them of all the good memories. It didn't turn out as well as I had hoped but you tend to make more mistakes when you are in a rush to finish. I also had a scroll saw blade that tracked left on me. This really threw me for a loop because they almost always track to the right. After a few cuts and being unhappy I tossed the blade out. Then I was back on track. The problem is when you are doing double bevel you can't take the cut back. Because they are my parents, I am sure they will like it anyway. Maybe with their eyesight going they won't notice most of them anyway4a5ba5e908c4771487816615299d9359.jpg Here is a picture of their house. 3604195aa1e8aade843f02c5133b695b.jpg The plan I came up with. 5aa574e247fe3b9377d4e37923039084.jpg88fbc61c00f4f64bf76288cae0d09fdc.jpg Finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ok, the rest of this box by the way is gorgeous. I just noticed the bands on the dovetails and the little plane on the bottom.

What veneers and overlay substrate did you use, by the way?

I used hard maple, blood wood, yellowheart, popular and walnut. I cut all the veneers down to 1/16 of an inch on my bandsaw.

Sorry Vinny I don't know what you mean by overlay. It was done by using a technique called double bevel marquetry. You cut veneers to about 1/16-1/8 then you tilt the table on your scroll saw. Then you adhere the piece of wood you want on top and cut out your design. Then if your angle is right it fits together like a puzzle piece. Here is a great video if this is something you want to become interested in. http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/double-bevel-marquetry-dvd-with-david-marks/