First Project - Coffee Table

EdG

I appreciate the input but although a thru tenon would work it wouldn't work for the design for this coffee table and its future End Tables. So still looking for input on the M/T options. I'm hoping either the 3/8 or 1/2 tenons will work. Am I expecting too much from the M/T option? Would adding a support block attached to the stretcher allow for the M/T option?

While waiting for more responses concerning attachment of shelf to the stretchers I went ahead and mortised slots in the apron that will be used to hold down the table top. I'm using the Z brackets for this purpose. I had the idea to use the same jig as used for the leg mortises. I simply added risers that positioned the aprons just below the top of the jig. Worked great and positioned each slot exactly at the same location.

Started playing with how I'll finish off the leg bottoms. I had two leg samples so on one I rounded the leg with a rasp to kind of mimic the leg indent. On the other leg I simply broke the edges a little on the heavy side. Waiting to see which one the wife likes better before moving on.

post-16531-0-82676900-1420402865_thumb.j

post-16531-0-32169700-1420402878_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

All parts of this project, excluding the top are now complete. Before gluing up I have a finishing question. As a backdrop I will be leaving the area for 3 months at the end of Janurary and will finish building the top on my return. So here are my questions

My finish will be a wash coat of shellac followed by 1 coat of BLO followed by 4 coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Oil & Urethane

1). Would it be feasible to finish the pieces before glue up? If so anything I should do/ watch out for?

2) If prefinishing is not recommended then I was thinking of doing a dry fit with clamps and finish when I return. Would this option be better the 1)?

Thanks wdwerker. Since I'm new to woodworking and you have years of experience can you please educate me as to the pitfalls of pre-finishing. Understanding the why will definitely help me in future projects. On my return in April I'll be build two end tables to go wi this coffee table. Thanks

If you prefinish, you don't get any appreciable protection from wood movement so, no real benefit there.  If you prefinish and then get glue squeeze out on that finish, you'll be pulling your hair out.

Light dry fit clamping in the most environmentally controlled area would be best to leave it for the length of time.

Thanks wdaerkwr, TIODS & K Cooper. I now understand the issue with glue squeeze out on a finished project. I will plan on a dry fit, lightly clamped until my return. The table will be put in our living room where the temp will be set at 55 deg while we are away