Some people eat when they're down....

wouldwurker

I got it, in part, to clean up dado stack lines on half laps and rabbets. 

Mainly though, and this might sound nuts, but vicing up a board and taking shavings in total silence for no reason whatsoever for 30 minutes just clears my head.  If that's all I do with it for now, the price of admission is cheaper than therapy.

• Like 1

Thanks Buzzkills!

Seriously though, I went in to buy the low angle block rabbet plane, but it's way too similar to the low angle block plane I already have....couldn't justify buying something so similar for it's limited purpose. So I picked up the jackrabbet.

Plus, at this time I don't see myself dropping anymore cash on medium to larger size planes, and I only own the small block plane, so I also get the benefit of a larger plane in the foreseeable future for cleaning up burn marks on edges, nicer chamfers, and some general cleanup work (which is what I use my block plane for now).

==>Thanks Buzzkills!

Not really buzzkills, we were just jealous – anyone purchasing such a tool must already have a pretty good collection… :)

I know one good use – raise Shaker-style panels by hand or cleanup machine marks on raised panels… I really don’t do Shaker anymore, or I’d have the plane… I believe the original use was in carriage work, but I forget… Probably a good question for the Schwarz…

• 2 weeks later...

Mainly though, and this might sound nuts, but vicing up a board and taking shavings in total silence for no reason whatsoever for 30 minutes just clears my head.  If that's all I do with it for now, the price of admission is cheaper than therapy.

So glad I'm not the only one who does this!