New to sawmill lumber

Brendon_t

So being in southern California, there is a lot around but very few options for hardwood not ridiculously marked up. My last walnut project, I paid about $8.50/bf for 8/4 lumber about an hour and a half drive away. I did some Google searching and found a Sawyer in my city and had a long chat with him today on the phone. He started that he has 8/4 air dried walnut up to 6 foot long he would take $5/bf for.

I'm trying to build a stock up so that I don't have to go buy wood for every project.

This sounds like a pretty good deal to me, a novice. Anything I should look out for or know about air dried from a mill vs kiln from a big yard?

Get a moisture meter learn how to use it, take it with you. Air dried can take a couple of years or more for 8/4 stock. I would also take a small block plane and a flashlight. Air dried walnut has better color than typical klin dried walnut ( most mills steam walnut to try to darken the sapwood during the kiln drying process)

Usually a good idea to joint and plane air dried wood over sized then sticker it up for a few days to acclimate and see if it moves on you. Then you have some room to joint out any twist or warp that may happen.

This all sounds like good advice. He has a few pictures up on his website where the walnut almost looks purple. I've never seen it in that state before.

Yep..  That's what you get in good walnut..  You'll see colors you didn't think possible in walnut.

• 2 weeks later...

As an aside,

I also live in Southern California.  I found this guy in Palm Springs.  Says he has thousands of bf of many species.  I spoke to him on the phone but have never met him or bought from him (yet) he said he sells 4/4 walnut and cherry from $4 to $6 a bf.  I think he is a good and affordable source and plan on going out for a few hundred bf sometime soon his name and number Dan 323-350-2267

Bonhoff lumber has 4/4 at $6.71 and 6/4 at $7.11

I just drove to visit a local hobby sawyer and ended up leaving with 35 board feet of walnut including some very cool crotch wood for 100 dollars. His 4/4 is actually 6/4 and 6/4 was about 1/64 shy of 8/4. I just wish he had more.