Glazing Cherry

notquitea90

Ok, we'll I posted a question about Bulls Eye shellac bit earlier. The reason I was asking was because I was trying out a glazing method on a few cherry boxes I made up with my daughter. Now I know everyone is going to say I should just let it age but I'm extremely impatient so I thought being that these were some small simple boxes it would give me an opportunity to try out some different finishing technique. What I've found is I really love the glazing effect so I thought I would share the results.

These are just small samples that I tried out, all boards had 2 coats of thinned Bulls Eye applied before the colour. From left to right: far left being Old Masters Gel stain - cherry, second from the left is a glaze made from 2 parts burnt umber and one part burnt sienna, middle is a glaze made of 4 parts burnt sienna and one part burnt umber, second from the right is General Finishes cinnamon dye (yes I know water based finishes and cherry are probably not good mix but I thought I would experiment), and the right is General Finishes vintage cherry dye.

Now I'm fairly amateur at wood working but I really liked the results. Hopefully it turns out after the top coat is applied. I'll be going with the middle stain on one of the boxes we're working on. If anyone has any advise or feed back to ad to this method I would really appreciate it especially if I'm headed for a wreck by doing this lol.

post-5028-0-22181400-1420084048_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

I glazed a cherry cabinet with the burnt umber, looks good, but in the long run I wish i hadn't. I was going to post a photo for you but I have no idea how to do that. Message me if you would like to see the before and after photos and I'll try and get them to you so you can see the difference.