Started installing my cyclone

estesbubba

Just finished up my 2nd drop which completes the branch. Need to build something to help support the TS/jointer drop weight. First time doing this there are things I could do better but pretty happy so far. Now to continue the main with router and bandsaw drops.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1420426899.931012.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1420426911.518334.jpg

Maybe a support off the end of your TS?  

Looks awesome!

• Like 1

I would use 1 5/8 unistrut with 2 post bases and banding iron. You would have to buy 10 foot of it, but I'm sure you'll find a use fot the left over.

Mount the strut bases with a few 3/8 or 1/2" drop in concrete anchors. If you ever need to relocate they are flush with the floor surface. You could also get real fancy and get a 6" ips strut clamp vs the banding iron.

Took some pics for you. Mine also has a vacuum ring that goes in the bottom of the drum.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1420330666.089680.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1420330674.719503.jpg

Thanks for the photos. Mine doesn't have the ports to attach a hose to either item. Guess I'm sticking to the liner. It's worked good for me so that's no problem.

• 1 month later...

Looks terrific!

One question on the dust collection for the sawstop - I'm shopping for one and wasn't sure if I needed the over-arm dust collection - I figured you could just tap the blade guard into the shop's system - is the over-arm better?

Looks terrific!

One question on the dust collection for the sawstop - I'm shopping for one and wasn't sure if I needed the over-arm dust collection - I figured you could just tap the blade guard into the shop's system - is the over-arm better?

You don't need the overarm but it does work well. There's a promo going on now and you can get it free.

• Like 1

Since there are a lot of DC posts lately, and of course 100 different opinions, I thought I would update this with what I did. I tried to design it correctly and used 2 different resources calculating CFM, CP, and FPM and hit all the requirements. In my one-man shop I run with only a single blast gate open at a time. 

Calculating my 8-6" reducer at the cyclone, seasoned filter, 6" pipe, 45 wyes, 45 elbows, 90 long radius elbow, and 4" flex pipe, my biggest SP loss is the drum sander at 9.0. Looking at the SP vs CFM curve for my machine, that route is running at 1100 CFM with one blast gate open. In order to keep 4500 FPM in 6" pipe you need at least 882 CFM. So if my calculations are all correct, I'm maintaining at least 1100 CFM and 4500 FPM with my system. According to my research this is good. 

If I ran 8" out of the cyclone to the first wye that would decrease my SP by 2.5, going from 9.0 to 6.5. That will give me 1300 CFM at the drum sander which is an increase of 200 CFM. But then, 8" pipe requires 1570 CFM to maintain 4500 FPM and 1396 CFM to maintain 4000 FPM, so now I'm dropping below FPM requirements. 

Going with 7" to first wye would decrease my SP by 2.0 putting the numbers at 7.0 SP and 1250 CFM. 4500 FPM for 7" pipe require 1202 CFM barely good there. 

So 8" looks like to little FPM and 7" just enough. Would going with 7" to first wye enough to make a difference - I don't know? All I know is it sucks hard at the drum sander as-is.

This site has some information on duct design using spiral pipe:

My manual also had a lot of good information:

One thing you might want to consider is the effect of SP based on the FPM.  The manual you referenced kind of shows this, where they give different figures for SP based on the 3500 & 4000 FPM.  I believe the SP will increase by the square of the relative increase in FPM.  So, 4500 FPM would have (4500/4000)^2 or 1.26x higher SP than the SP for a pipe at 4000 FPM.

BTW, when you stated "with one blast gate open", that was in addition to the blast gate for your sander?

Have you thought about getting an anemometer to measure CFM directly?  

==>One thing you might want to consider is the effect of SP based on the FPM.
There’s a couple of issues with the numbers, you caught one and the other is SP/CFM performance is not linear....

EB got to the big issue: constant diameter ducting does little to mitigate transport static pressure loss – doesn’t really matter if it’s constant 8” diameter,  constant 7” or 6” – constant diameter really doesn’t get you there unless you deploy a mongo-cyclone or have really short runs (or both).…

On the surface, the 3HP/6” approach looks like it works… But the numbers used in the calculations resemble linear extrapolations from Max-inlet, not measured performance curve… Linear-fan-performance is the big issue with many on-line SP calculators – they treat inlet as a constant source, which it is not… So if you use industry planning numbers*, the 6” constant-diameter case doesn’t work-out so well…

*Note: The published Grizzly numbers vary from industry planning numbers for a 3HP/15”impeller/8”inlet cyclone… Industry numbers are closer to: 12WC/200CFM, 10/800, 6/1200, 4/1400 and max inlet around 1450CFM/12WC give or take.

One thing you might want to consider is the effect of SP based on the FPM. The manual you referenced kind of shows this, where they give different figures for SP based on the 3500 & 4000 FPM. I believe the SP will increase by the square of the relative increase in FPM. So, 4500 FPM would have (4500/4000)^2 or 1.26x higher SP than the SP for a pipe at 4000 FPM.

BTW, when you stated "with one blast gate open", that was in addition to the blast gate for your sander?

Have you thought about getting an anemometer to measure CFM directly?

I only have 1 blast gate open at a time. I don't have a anemometer - where do you put them to take measurements?