Wood pricing. How does North Texas compare?

bushwacked

Finally got pricing for a decent amount of wood at my local yard. (Yes it's the one you don't get to hand pick)

I am just curious how these prices stack up to others. I know wood varies greatly across the U.S. But that is why I am asking since I am curious how our prices in north Texas match up with others.

22362e7160ab02e381d88baa300f98fd.jpg

Those are good prices...assuming that what they call FAS actually IS FAS.  A little cheaper across the board than our prices.  The price on the mahogany is insanely low, and if it's genuine mahogany I'd go buy a few hundred board feet this evening.  Suspiciously low.

Those are good prices...assuming that what they call FAS actually IS FAS. A little cheaper across the board than our prices. The price on the mahogany is insanely low, and if it's genuine mahogany I'd go buy a few hundred board feet this evening. Suspiciously low.

How could I tell if it's genuine or not? ( still new at this wood thing and telling good from bad)

I'd start by asking.  :)

The easily identifiable differences between Honduran and African are that the Honduran has a tighter grain with smaller pores, and a deeper, richer color.  The African has a coarser, interlocking (reversing) grain.  If you see tearout from the milling on the boards, chances are much better that it's African.  Honduran mills pretty clean.

I'd start by asking. :)

The easily identifiable differences between Honduran and African are that the Honduran has a tighter grain with smaller pores, and a deeper, richer color. The African has a coarser, interlocking (reversing) grain. If you see tearout from the milling on the boards, chances are much better that it's African. Honduran mills pretty clean.

Well yes I I know to ask but just wanted to be able to rely on something besides a salesmans word.

Thanks for the tips on things to look for.

If it turns out to be African ... What should the price be?

We're way higher on zebrawood.  Tim is on the coast...he could be closer to a port that receives shipments of exotics.  We're in the middle of the country where transportation costs are a major factor.  More fuel used means higher prices.  Ask Tim what his prices are for Claro walnut or western big leaf maple and compare them to Kev's prices...

I have NEVER SEEN big leaf maple in SC....would like to get a-hold of some though!

We have pine....lots of pine....more pine....yellow pine...imported white pine...and then....there's pine.

The first time I went into Woodcraft, I was star-struck....I held purple heart for the first time with wide, wild, childlike eyes....."GOD GREW A PURPLE TREE!!!!!"  I'm still amazed when I see bloodwood or padauk or cut into a burl and see the wild grain patterns.  Wipe tung oil of a piece of mahogany and look at the transformation.   Years ago, I looked at wood and saw firewood...now I look at a log or a crotch and see possibilities of crazy grain.  I can always light the gas logs.

It's actually about 9/4 and is currently at about 11% moisture.

I don't have any specific plans for it but, I didn't need any plans considering what I paid.. :ph34r:

Oh. Haha well it looks a lot thicker than 9/4 but what do I know

Not too bad. See... You get sweet wood deals. That's just as good as our festool deals