Cocobolo high gloss finish

pachieh

1st time posting, long time lurker...

I had a good friend turn a bunch of cocobolo into speaker connector covers (see pic below showing a representation of what I wanted him to do) as I am building some cables right now for my listening room. I'd like to get a high gloss finish on the cocobolo as my speakers (Aerial Acoustics 6Ts) are a high gloss rosewood as well.

I've seen everything from shellac+wax to CA used for a high gloss finish.  I have shellac plus some very high quality car wax (Griots Garage Best in Show wax) that are already on hand. I've also seen EEE Ultrashine as a possibility, although its a cut n' polish which may not work over shellac. What have you all used or recommend?

RSC_d2_zpsa2d96dfb.jpg

I would sand to 400-600, buff with a mild abrasive such as tripoli and/or white rouge then polish with a hard wax.  If this sounds like the Beall buffing system, it is.

I'd do that but skip the wax. Cocobolo is so naturally oily that you often don't need it if you do a fine buff.

EDIT: hm ... that's odd. I'm logged in as me but the posting avatar says "guests"

• 1 month later...

So I'm finally getting around to doing this. Did a coat of dewaxed shellac, sanded lightly, then put the arm-r-seal on top. Nice glossy finish, just that after 24 hours (in my house at 68 degrees) of drying, it is still tacky. I figured with a shellac sealer, no oils from the cocobolo should be affecting the poly finish.

Any ideas? Wait longer??? Heat gun to accelerate drying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm finally getting around to doing this. Did a coat of dewaxed shellac, sanded lightly, then put the arm-r-seal on top. Nice glossy finish, just that after 24 hours (in my house at 68 degrees) of drying, it is still tacky. I figured with a shellac sealer, no oils from the cocobolo should be affecting the poly finish.

Any ideas? Wait longer??? Heat gun to accelerate drying?

I always use 3 coats of dewaxed on cocobolo

About 10 of the 20 cured enough so I was able to get a second coat on. Other 10 are still a little tacky after a week in 65 degree temps.

I'm near the decision point to either sand lightly and do another coat of shellac before the poly again or a heat gun. Not sure if a heat gun will work though to accelerate the drying time...