Danger Danger Danger

Mzdadoc

Said with my best Astralian accent.

As a beginner I'm learning everyday and love it but I'd like to make a newb first impression of a crosscut sled.

Holy cow is that thing dangerous!!!! Why? That soft sweet sled lulls you into thinking that sweet blade isn't dangerous. Without the sled I'm very cautious. With the sled it simply changes my view. No I haven't hurt myself but talk about being on your A game when using.

I wondered why people put guards on the outside after cut area. I know why now! Your fingers are drawn there unintentionally.

Beware my fellow newbs but enjoy the accuracy!

Doc, I also find myself, when using the sled to cut multiple cuts where the length is not critical, instead of using a stop block, I will use the pattern piece to mark my next cut on the sled, while the saw is on. Certainly not something I would do otherwise.

A complete DA move on my part!

I clamp a tee stop to the crosscut fence when doing multiple pieces all the same length. The tee stop comprises a long stick 3/4" x 1/4" x 24" long stock. I glue a piece of the same section about 3" long at one end of the stick to make a tee shape. Clamp it in position with a slight gap above the stock. Move your hands out of the way of the blade path. Mark the back of the fence with DANGER ZONE with a thick sharpie. Make your cut, stop the machine, reindex the stock, move your hands out, start the blade, make the cut, turn the motor off.

A general note to all newbies: There is no time saved by not turning it off as you will spend more time in the emergency room.

Be aware of where your hands are at all times and do not become complacent. You've seen what a saw blade does to oak. Your fingers are softer and just because you now have a crosscut sled doesn't make it any less dangerous.

• Like 1

I find myself even more careful with my cross cut sled. Every time there's a blade before I push the wood towards it I check my hand position and clearance from that blade. Playing guitar with nubs wouldn't work so well.

A good tip for keeping your hands clear is to make a handle or some area that is dedicated and designed for your hand to rest, and be conscious of using that spot all the time.

Tomorrow I'm going to go get some plexi glass and epoxy and make a guard for the back.

You can use wood, many do.  Just make it big enough that your blade won't reach thru it.

Even with a guard in place, don't be complacent.  There's still a blade there and your hand should never be in the line of fire.

I wonder if anyone has put in a stop so that the sled can't travel too far forward - so the blade can't emerge from the back of the blade guard.  Or glued some sandpaper on the back in the danger area, So if you grab fence in the wrong place the texture will remind you to move your fingers.  Hmmm, maybe a few short dowels glued in the top of the fence so that it's really awkward and uncomfortable to hold the fence there.

I wonder if anyone has put in a stop so that the sled can't travel too far forward - so the blade can't emerge from the back of the blade guard.  Or glued some sandpaper on the back in the danger area, So if you grab fence in the wrong place the texture will remind you to move your fingers.  Hmmm, maybe a few short dowels glued in the top of the fence so that it's really awkward and uncomfortable to hold the fence there.

My OF table has stops built in for this reason but, things could move so I don't rely on it.

I wonder if anyone has put in a stop so that the sled can't travel too far forward - so the blade can't emerge from the back of the blade guard.

Matthias Wandel has a video showing exactly that. There is a small gap between his saw top and outfeed table, so he added a hinged block on his sled that falls into the gap and prevents further forward motion.