Peppermills and Pen

Indy Cindy

Peppermills and coordinating salt shakers were this year's Christmas gifts for my mom and sisters. The one with the dark wood is walnut, the two with lighter wood are spalted birch. The wood was purchased from Got Wood? http://www.turningblanks.netwho I highly recommend. The finish is General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish. Each gift was ecstatically received. :)

post-5342-0-55805500-1420319540_thumb.jp

The pen is a birthday gift for my sister who's birthday is next week. The dark wood is ebony, the rosy pink wood is dyed buckeye burl. She lives in California now but we are originally from Ohio, the Buckeye State, so that wood is appropriate for her as is the color which is one of her favorites. And she likes all things Celtic after a trip we took together to Ireland so this pen kit from Penn State is perfect. The finish on this is Doctor's Woodshop Pens Plus, a friction polish, purchased from Woodcraft after glowing reviews from the guys who work there. This is my first time working with it but so far it is a dream.

post-5342-0-08112200-1420319563_thumb.jp

The set to the left is my favorite. Nice and modern. But the salt shaker looks a little hard to pick up.

Indeed, that is one of my concerns, too. I have a variation on that, not as curved overall and straighter at the top part of the curve which might be less prone to dropping. I am going to finish it and put it in use at my house to see how it works out. These are an easy size to hold and place a finger or two under it to secure it. Whether or not we will do that automatically without thinking about it I will find out before I make more of that design.

I absolutely love your work, Cindy. Very elegant.

How many coats of GFSBF?

Thanks, Vinny. :) At least 3 coats of finish, probably closer to 5 or 6. I let it cure overnight, usually closer to 24 hours between coats even though it was dry to the touch way before that.

Awesome work Cindy!  How do I get on your Christmas list?

Thanks. I need to put myself on my list, too. :) Of five I turned these three were gift worthy. Now without the Christmas deadline I can relax and play with the others and try out different designs.