Marc and Tommy Mac

RichardA

I think RC does a good job of including a wide range of projects from large involved fine furniture to small-ish weekend projects... honestly, I'm really glad there's a woodworking show at all on TV these days. I know if I was the one shoving a 40+ hour project into 23 minutes I'd want people to cut me some slack and enjoy the show for what it has to offer. I love web based stuff like Marc's but it's nice to be able to chill on the couch and watch a show like RC every now and then.... If nothing else I like checking out the awesome tools he's got to work with. I find it's a good general rule not to criticize someone doing a job you've never done.

• 3 weeks later...

I think first impressions play a large role and can be deceiving. That bombe secretary series is on my to do list.

I bring this thread back up because Steve Johnson was at Highland Woodworking today. I was only there for ten minutes because my kids were with me, but still, I was just a couple feet away while he was talking and demonstrating the SawStop. I got to thinking, yeah, perhaps I don't think he has the best delivery in the world. However, he's still plenty talented in both visual and woodworking production. More talented than me, certainly. The production value is certainly something I couldn't duplicate, so why hate? I went back and took a look at his outfeed table series. Good stuff, if a bit more complicated than I would do. I get Marc's point about all of us being different and bringing different things to the table. It's appreciated a bit more for me.

One of the things I pride myself on is the ability to change my mind.

After the show recording I spent some time with Tommy back at his house. His wife cooked an incredible meal and they were both gracious hosts. We shot the breeze, ate ice cream, and talked about all kinds of things like business, woodworking, family, and even dogs. He was as laid-back as can be and for the first time I felt like I got to see who Tommy Mac really is.

A few years ago, I got to meet Tommy at NBSS, and he was nothing like the guy you see on TV...   A nice, laid back guy, who graduated from NBSS and knows how to build furniture.