Netflix Hangover

rodger.

My wife and I decided to "cut the cord" for our televison service a few months ago, and we went with the streaming service "Netflix" to replace our cable service.  We are very happy with it, and I could never go back to the commercial loaded (and expensive) cable/satellite TV experience again.

The issue I am having is that I get into some shows and watch them in a marathon sequence.  For example, I just finished "Breaking Bad", and at some points I would watch 4 or 5 episodes back to back.  This would, of course, leave me very tired the next day!

I am currently starting "The Walking Dead", and I can see the same thing happening!  I am only on the first season, episode 3, so please NO SPOILERS!

My wife and I unplugged over a year ago. We have amazing fast internet so we watch movies on Netflix and have Hulu to watch regular tv shows the day after instead of having TiVo. I put a good old fashioned but modern antenna in our attic. We get great HD reception. We get sports only if on the main channels but I'm not a sport nut any how. We saved about $200 a month and haven't looked back.

I wrote a couple of blog posts on my personal blog about our cord-cutting experience and it includes my strategy for sports. 

http://marcspag.com/technology/cutting-the-cord-our-plan-of-attack/

http://marcspag.com/cord-cutting/cord-cutting-update-its-official/

An over the air antenna coupled with a Tivo makes it feel like we never cut the cord. Netflix, Amazon, and iTunes for everything else and we're golden.

This is something we've been considering Pug but am curious what you do for sports feeds?  I think I'd be crushed if I couldn't want football..

Looks like some solid suggestions above for sports.  I used to really be into NFL, PGA, and NHL, but I gave up watching all profesional sports about 2 years ago.  I won't go too far into the details, as it can be a sensitive topic for some people who hold professional sports close to their heart.

• Like 1

Looks like some solid suggestions above for sports.  I used to really be into NFL, PGA, and NHL, but I gave up watching all profesional sports about 2 years ago.  I won't go too far into the details, as it can be a sensitive topic for some people who hold professional sports close to their heart.

Fair answer Pug..

I only had cable for about a year, and I've gotten rid of my TV.  The only problem I have is HBO and PBS. "Game of Thrones" and other HBO shows are only available on HBO.  I could watch them on HBOgo if I had an account.  I called up HBO to find out if I could get an HBOgo account, and they said that it only came bundled with my cable.  Basically, it's "old media", they assume that watching over the internet is an add-on that you might use when you aren't in front of your TV.

PBS is similar.  Very few episodes of anything are available over the internet.  I can watch NYWS one episode at a time, but I'm used to Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu, where I can browse episodes, binge-watch, etc.  If I want to watch Trombone Shorty on Austin City Limits, I'm out of luck.

I just heard a "media expert" saying that music piracy went way down once there were legal ways buy/listen to music on demand over the internet, and the same thing is happening to TV and movies.  Most people don't pirate to save money - they pirate because there's no legal way to get the content over the net.

HBOGo and Showtime Anytime a la carte access is coming. As is ESPN. However the cost of these without a current subscription remains to be seen. They might approach the cost of cable. PBS shows things for only two weeks after air for most things, unfortunately.

The only thing I really miss is baseball, which will take forever to figure out a la carte, if ever.

You can get most of the HBO series through AZ Prime.  Granted, a year or more after they've been released.  There's a couple of HBO series that I like watching in real time, and I like some of their specials and documentaries.  If it wasn't for that, I would have unplugged a long time ago.  I think it's gonna happen soon though...our cable provider is a rapist.

You can get most of the HBO series through AZ Prime.  Granted, a year or more after they've been released.  There's a couple of HBO series that I like watching in real time, and I like some of their specials and documentaries.  If it wasn't for that, I would have unplugged a long time ago.  I think it's gonna happen soon though...our cable provider is a rapist.

The cost of cable or satellite TV is really ridiculous. We went from close to 60 month for satellite to 7 dollars for Netflix.

We have high-speed internet, cable, two premium channels and three DVR boxes...$150/mo.  Outrageous.

Trade you..  I'm over 200 with no premium channels for HSI, cable, and a land line.  Because it's a bundle, it's actually more expensive for us to drop the landline...

I got cable/DVR for my wife for her birthday and after seeing the monthly bill, she wants to go back to just streaming (we have Netflix, HuluPlus, and AmazonPrime). With a Smart TV, Roku, Apple TV or the like, we just don't use the cable that often!

As to the original post, the same thing happens to me. Especially when the next episode just starts up without delay after one gets finished! Check out Prison Break on Netflix, great show.

As to the original post, the same thing happens to me. Especially when the next episode just starts up without delay after one gets finished! Check out Prison Break on Netflix, great show.

You're the first person I can recall mentioning this show ever.  Enjoyed the first two seasons...they sort of dragged out season 3 with the writer's strike and everything. 

I believe it hurt future ratings.