Netflix Hangover

rodger.

I am currently starting "The Walking Dead", and I can see the same thing happening!  I am only on the first season, episode 3, so please NO SPOILERS!

Binge watching is dangerous. I was bored one day and there was some crappy weather last winter. I started watching Walking Dead on a Friday afternoon, the second half of season 4 was starting that Sunday at 9pm I watched season 1 on Friday straight, Season 2 and half of season 3 on Saturday and the other half of season 3 and the first half of season 4 on Sunday. I was caught up and ready for the second half of season 4 at 8:30 Sunday night. 

I did something similar with Game of Thrones, watched season 1-4 in 10 days time. Some series are just insanely addictive 

Not with HD signals in all areas anymore ! It depends on how close you are to the broadcasters.

Distance yes, HD no. Distance will decide the type/size of antenna you need but you don't need a special antenna for HD signals. I can just pick up PBS which is about 30 miles away with plain ol' rabbit ears. All the other channels are within 5 miles so no issues there. The best thing about OTA signals is they don't need to be compressed like satellite or cable so it's possible to get higher quality signals but that depends on what the station is broadcasting.

Someone on this forum posted a topic about a home-made UHF antenna that pulled in something like 30 stations, and he was in a remote rural market. It was just a long piece of coax cable, with the jacket stripped so that the braided shield could be seperated from the center conductor for most of the length. He stretch the center in one direction in his attic, stretched the shield opposite, and grounded the shield to a water pipe. Been meaning to give this a try, because one of those flat antennas gets me exactly ONE station. An old VHF/UHF antenna in my attic gets me three, but has to point at the one I want. I would be happy just to get 3 or 4 without having to turn the stinkin' antenna. On top of all this, the one nearby station that comes in pretty well will still drop out in the rain, almost as quick as the DirectTV does. Heck, sometimes it drops out when the SUN SHINES TOO HARD!

We are lucky to get pretty great reception in the valley regardless of what antenna we use. But when I installed mine, I just "borrowed" the satellite dish mount and coax. So now the antenna hangs out on the roof getting great reception and the signal is pass throughout the house, wherever we used to have a DirectTV connection. might be a solution for some folks who need a better signal and used to have a satellite dish.

• Like 1

Baseball does do well for online, if you are out of market. If you are in market, you're basically screwed.

I don't see NFL going cable, there's way too much money invested and returned via the networks. Too many opportunities to tout their other programming. Only if NFL ratings decline.

Dish just announced Sling TV yesterday, an option for ESPN et al. Very excited.

I heard about the ESPN Sling on my way to work yesterday.  They said the ESPN package would start around $20 which would defeat the purpose for me.  The sports package on Directv is less expensive than that and has greater value: you get all ESPN channels except Classic, MLB, NFL, and Fox Sports.  

I'm trying to keep Directv by having only local channels and the sports package.  

But you tac on the DVR service and extra box and it starts to add back up.

For me there's not a lot of value in the ESPN channels anyway.  You get a few good college football games a week during the season unless you like to watch them after already knowing the score, a handful of baseball games per week during baseball season (unlikely not in your market), and 1 NFL game per week during the football season.  

I heard about the ESPN Sling on my way to work yesterday.  They said the ESPN package would start around $20 which would defeat the purpose for me.  The sports package on Directv is less expensive than that and has greater value: you get all ESPN channels except Classic, MLB, NFL, and Fox Sports.  

I'm trying to keep Directv by having only local channels and the sports package.  

But you tac on the DVR service and extra box and it starts to add back up.

For me there's not a lot of value in the ESPN channels anyway.  You get a few good college football games during the season unless you like to watch them after already knowing the score, a handful of baseball games per week during baseball season (unlikely not in your market), and 1 NFL game per week during the football season.  Not a lot of value there for the money.  

For me, it's $20 for the Sling TV, or $70 for DirecTV. 

With the playoff exclusively on ESPN, and nearly every single bowl game, I think it's good value. The Turner channels and Disney are a bonus. Best part, I could probably pick it up and drop it as I want to, but I suppose I'll have to check out the terms when it comes along.

Netflix has been great for us. In dear old blighty we have to pay £145.00 > $200+ for a "licence" to have a TV in the first place. I'm not sure how much longer that can survive though. My folks had satellite and my problem with it was more adverts, more fluff and less of anything useful. 

Netflix is £6.00 a month $10 and it's really good, on demand has to be the future. I have no idea why people think they know when I want to watch stuff. On demand all the way.

And pug, I feel that binge pain. Breaking Bad was a tough one, sometimes three episodes an evening!

Netflix has been great for us. In dear old blighty we have to pay £145.00 > $200+ for a "licence" to have a TV in the first place. I'm not sure how much longer that can survive though. My folks had satellite and my problem with it was more adverts, more fluff and less of anything useful. 

Netflix is £6.00 a month $10 and it's really good, on demand has to be the future. I have no idea why people think they know when I want to watch stuff. On demand all the way.

And pug, I feel that binge pain. Breaking Bad was a tough one, sometimes three episodes an evening!

Walking Dead is even better than Breaking Bad - be careful If you start that one! I'm already on season 2!

• Like 1