shop upgrade - cast iron router wing

rodger.

Been contemplating doing this for a while, and decided to go for it. I sold my "stand alone" router table and installed a cast iron router table wing in my ridgid ts3650.

For a shop as small as mine, this freed up a lot space for me.

I spent a few hours disassembling my saw and adding the wing. Then I prepped the new router insert (jessem router plate) for my big daddy Freud router.

For good measure I cleaned up the top, cleaned the blade, and tuned it up.

Next I will need to make a shop made fence with DC that attaches to my TS fence.

post-6372-0-88720000-1420425212_thumb.jp

post-6372-0-30559300-1420425265_thumb.jp

post-6372-0-16889200-1420425305_thumb.jp

• Like 2

If that's what works best for your shop then congrats on pulling the trigger!  A lot of people have a hard time doing what many see as going backwards.  Workflow and shop space usually dictate what's right for you rather than the norm.

I'm still using a craftsman router table and I really need to upgrade, been thinking about mounting a router lift in my 4' X 8' island work bench, mounting a router on my puny little table saw is not an option, I think it would tip over  :D you'll have to let us know how you like it

If that's what works best for your shop then congrats on pulling the trigger! A lot of people have a hard time doing what many see as going backwards. Workflow and shop space usually dictate what's right for you rather than the norm.

Yeah, it was a tough decision. In the end I think it was the right thing to do, and it will give me a larger surface area for the router (I can use the saw table and out feed with the mounted router). The pros and cons of such a set up are well documented and debated online, but for me it's a win.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
19 minutes ago, freedhardwoods said:

I just stumbled onto this thread. Where did you get the ci router wing?

Not sure if it's exactly the same, but amazon sells one that fits my saw (ridgid 4512):  https://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-Tools-40-102-Extension/dp/B001TDLSUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486537010&sr=8-1&keywords=bench+dog+router+wing

• Like 1