new wooden mallet

Brendon_t

I was bored in the living room before the cowboys game was set to start so I went out into the shop and ended up building myself a new assembly/ light chopping mallet.

I grabbed some old nasty cherry for the head and used a busted up piece of white oak for the handle.

Tomorrow I'll get the final sanding done and some blo rubbed in then my leather piece attached to the flat end.

After a few weeks of non production, it just feels good to do SOMETHING.

Quick rub down with blo. .it really isn't anything too special, it just filled a need to actually make some dust..

Pretty standard construction. 2degree miters on the inside pieces of the sandwich. Cut down the cheeks of the tenons on the table saw. Created some 4degree wedges from PH and banged everything in square and tight.. It feels great in hand. I even beat the snot out of some pine for S&G's

post-16319-0-57488100-1420516956_thumb.j

post-16319-0-53471100-1420516980_thumb.j

post-16319-0-26835300-1420516998_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thanks guys, the cherry were all cutoffs with bad knots or sniped by the planer. When I put everything together, there was a 64th gap on the end do I drilled through with a 7/16 bit and pounded a Dowell into place.

This is my first time building a mallet, I'm sure I could have put more thought and effort into it but I figured; I'm going to use it to hit things with and it took me an hour to make. . Perfection not needed.

Is it big enough? Surely you could have found a few more pieces to glue onto it :o

I did the same thing. Mine were done on the lathe though and using found wood. (See the chainsaw off cuts at the top of the photo.)

Great what boredom will produce.

http://hancockshardwarehouse.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/turning-wooden-mallets.html

Mallets.JPG

I'm sure I COULD HAVE..maybe I'll add some 6/4 ppl heart to the outside. . But seriously, this was a total throw together with no planning. I would have preferred it to be a bit thinner but obviously didn't care enough to break out the lunch box or plug in the drum sander.

nice mallet! I love mine, though, I don't have a leather piece on mine, seems to whack fine without leaving marks... but, should I ? I think it would change the look a bit if I did...

See now I couldn't have a mallet that pretty because I wouldn't hit stuff with it. .

I have always used a piece of leather on one my flat strike face and kept the dome open. I like being able to beat up a chisel then finesse pieces together with the same tool