Spike.com Furniture design challenge

I think I'll pass!  Any show that tends to have insult as it's main tool for drawing in a viewer, is not to me productive.  I used to watch cooking shows that encouraged you, then came the competition type, and it was just to insulting for my taste.  Some of the design aspects of it might be worth watching for, but I think I'll pass.

• Like 1

every season of Top Chef I say I'm not going to watch, but as soon as I start, I'm sucked in. I can see the appeal of this show format. Not boring or slow, they're fast paced, focused on creativity, etc... But to me, these 'craft' spin offs tend to miss the mark. There was a fine art battle show similar to this and the producers just tried to hard. It's like each of these shows have to one up the other. If they stayed a bit more true to form, they could be a lot more interesting. Not to say this doesn't have potential to suck me in (it totally does), but personally, I'm reaaaally over this battle for supremmecy format. except for Iron chef. I'll always be into that one. 

Insults from these hosts tend to follow brash ego thrusts. I am sure they are baiting us with the most contentious bits and that most of the show will be a touch blander. So goes hype in others shows. I will likely wait until I can watch a season of episodes at a time while grading papers.

I'm a sucker so I'll watch even though I already know it will be about the drama between competitors and judges and only a tiny bit about woodworking, furniture making, design, and even less about craftsmanship.

Another new show, Museum Men, has some woodworking. In the first episode they built a chair using mortise and tenons while chatting up the difficulty of doing so. Mostly they constructed with MDF & foam. Basically the guys are prop builders but it was mildly interesting.

• 4 weeks later...