Spike.com Furniture design challenge

Second episode seemed to be less negative.  I felt as though the comments this time were more specific and in many cases warranted like the table being off center, sagging tables, table heights (considering it is a regulated height).  Still not hardly any real working shots but considering the number of contestants they have right now drama is probably the only story that fits in.  Hopefully, as they whittle down the players they will have more time to focus on the process.  

As someone who watches very little tv in general, lucky enough to be in my shop working most evenings, last night I was soaking in the beta waves… I also caught the SiFi premier of Face-off and wish they would adopt more of a process like that for this show… I saw a lot of sculpting, discussions of design and execution, some mold making, and at least for now it was very limited on "drama". Of course, they are limited for time (as contestants and story tellers) so they don't explain all of what they are doing but you still get a feel for what goes into the process and it is quite impressive.

I have to agree the 2nd show was moderately better...basically translated to a bit less drama but not by much.  For me it's something my wife and daughter will watch with me that at least have some relationship to woodworking albeit pretty distant at this point :)

Episode 3 was interesting in they picked the hammock to win even though the guy did not 'adapt' the bungee cords, which the judges droned on and on about. The cd-rom table was actually the best adaptation of material and he should have won for that reason alone. Most everything else was really terrible but I don't know I could have done better. The tennis ball guy should have run with his original idea.

• Like 1

I just watched the 3rd episode and was equally surprised by the winner being the hammock.  Agree wih McQ...Although I liked the design it didn't meet what was described as the "requirements".  On the other hand the CD transformed into the table was certainly clever re-purposing of materials. 

I will keep watching it just because the wife and daughter have enjoyed it... Haven't seen the previews for Ellen's new show...

The hammock was the best piece.   You wouldn't know it was bungee cords from a distance...it could just be rope or whatever.    But if you were someone who absolutely adored bungee cords for whatever reason, you would love that piece.   Your friends would be like "damn bro even your sweet ass hammock is bungee cords" and you'd be frantically nodding your heading screaming "I KNOW RIGHT!!!".     But if you were really into forks or tennis balls or the other things, you still wouldn't care for those pieces.  

The other good one is obviously the CD table, but at the end of the day it was pretty simplistic just a square column and a simple square top.   If he had more time and could have done more with it, it easily could have been the best piece but I think it took him too long to get to the right idea.   His may have been the best idea in the end, but execution matters and the hammock really nailed a lot of the details IMHO.

I think I agree that the Hammock is the best looking pice because it's the only piece I would have in my home.  I agree that the CD table was the best "adaptation" so this would have been a hard choice for me if i were a judge.  Jory defiantly has a style, that I like very much, but if one of the criteria of the competition is unique and creative designs do you guys think he should continue to utilize his normal style, which seems to be in each of his pieces so far, or start to branch out and experiment?  Eh, either way I am happy to see someone who seems to be courteous and a genuine craftsman do well. 

One thing on the Ellen show is that apparently each designer will be paired with a "craftsman".  So it is a little different spin on the Spike show where they are designer & craftsman (like many of us).  I look forward to the shows attitude and just hope it's not a designer sipping their coffee while looking over the craftsman's shoulder while they do all the heavy lifting. 

He's smart to stay within his style.  The problem the people like Lacey have is they try to do something completely outside of what they have experience with and there just isn't time for very much experimentation.  When you have a judge who is only there to nitpick anything being slightly outside the bounds of the artificial rules of furniture making you'd better stick with what you know as much as you can within the bounds of the challenge.  If the judges were actually rewarding creativity rather than attacking anything off then it would be a different story.  You can just stick your forks into pieces of wood or duct tape wire around a lamp shade and survive but if the thing you made doesn't fit neatly into a box that judge understands then you are done.

I can't help but think how much potential there would be if the show crossed over into internet video.  Have the tv show with all its fake drama and have in depth videos for each project that people can check out.  With the tv show driving views to the videos they'd do well on the ads on them.

I can't help but think how much potential there would be if the show crossed over into internet video.

When I first read this sentence, I imagined an Internet duplication of the challenges with the contestants as Internet woodworkers...I bet Matthias Wandell could have built something absurd with any of those things. =p  I'd definitely watch those videos...  Last week's would have been interesting with Frank Howarth trying to do stop motion ping pong.

• Like 1

Hhhhmmm....wonder if there are any detailed pictures if that desk on the web yet?

EDIT: Nothing turned up in a quick gargle search. Maybe by tomorrow.

Anywho, I was also rather impressed with the artfully designed entry table by the blacksmith girl. Cool look, although wall attachment makes it impractical for many applications.

They had 3 days to build and a sizable team of helpers as shown at the beginning, so entirely doable. The desk definitely deserved to win. I wouldn't classify it as campaign, more industrial. It looks nice but I wouldn't buy it. The organic wall table was nicely done. The MCM cabinet was very nicely done, though I think the feet could have been better. The wall piece that got the guy sent home could have been a good piece were it thought out better. I would have turned the mirror vertical and put the coat hooks under the cabinet. The chair was atrocious and would have looked better if the legs curved in instead of out.

They had 3 days to build and a sizable team of helpers as shown at the beginning, so entirely doable.

They made it seem like only the designer plus one helper craftsman were doing the building on each piece.  Two guys, three partial days...one segment showed them shutting off the lights in the shop, implying that they had a start and stop time each day.  If two amazing woodworkers built for three STRAIGHT days without eating, sleeping or pooping...maybe...but I still doubt it.  Seriously doubt it.  It would take one of those guys a couple days just to fabricate the little stool and the "briefcase box."  I'm throwing down the BS flag.

I thought that little cabinet was almost as hideous as the chair.  Childish shapes in plastic just ain't my thing.