Any Lee Child / Jack Reacher fans out there?

HunterL

==>Jack Reacher series

Read the first few – maybe five or six, series got old... What are there now, fifteen, twenty?

==>The Spy Who Came in From The Cold

The follow-up works, aka, The Karla Trilogy are classic cold-war literature and worth reading.…

Pretty good movie… But no, like most movies based on books --- the book’s quite a bit better...

Ya I figured so. Most the time when I get down time is when I'm flying and with the terrible light I'd rather just watch movies for 10-15 hours. So I don't get as much reading as I would like in.

Pretty good movie… But no, like most movies based on books --- the book’s quite a bit better...

And that fool that played Jack, is half the size of the discription of Jack!   I've read at least 6 of lee child's Jack Reacher books, damn good writer. Love Vince Flynn as well.

==>And that fool that played Jack

Sorry, should have been clear -- "The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" was a vrey good book and good movie --- one of Richard Burton's better efforts...

I was not referring to the Jack Reacher movie -- and certainly not the best casting I've ever seen – when I saw the teaser, decided to take a pass…

Jack in the movie, what a joke that casting was! The height difference was so laughable, however, he did a great job IMO.

I Know they are going to be predictable, but I never figure it all out too early and thus it keeps it interesting. I haven't read Flynn yet, but I'm glad y'all like him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After reading the first two Reacher books I'm wondering how many ways can he end up in situations that are interesting. I kinda believe the first one might happen, second time it's a bit of a reach. I'm thinking by book 10 will it still be somewhat believable?

As far as the movie goes, my oldest son said it was good enough that you forget it's Tom Cruise. I know that's who I would pick to play a 6' 5" action hero.

Loving how Le Carre uses Smiley to tie the stories together while each of the first 3 are about different people. Quite creative. I planning on watching the movies and BBC tv series after I read the books.

Like Flynn but haven't read his stuff in a few years, may have to go back and do some catch up.

==>BBC tv series

Get the region 2 release of the BBC series -- the Region 1 releases have several important scenes cut to hit the time marks...

==>watching the movies

Some very good scenes, but the overall narrative gets lost -- hard to compress that dense a book into 90mins --- afterall, the BBC found it hard to compress into 5+hrs...

I'm not, what kind of writing do they do?

Scifi, historical fiction and military fiction. All publish through Baen Books (www.baen.com). John Ringo has an awesome story line called the 'Kildar' series. My favorite of David Weber's is the Honor Harrington series, and from Eric Flint I like the 1632 series. 1632 is about a small WV town, which through an accident of 'alien interdimensional artwork', is transported through space/time to central Germany in the year 1632. There are a number of books in the series authored by Flint, and a host of fan fiction. He even set up a rule book by which others can take a minor character from his books and write a story for them. Many of those are just as good as Flint's primary works.

Many of these works were formerly part of Baen's 'free library' of ebooks. I think that since Jim Baen died, the company may have dropped or drastically resuced the free library, but I believe the license allows sharing, so PM me if you want some, but can't download them from Baen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've read every Jack Reacher book and waiting for the next one. I generally buy the hardback as I can't wait for the paperback versions. He does one a year, and they usually come out just before our nephew and his wife stop by for their annual trip to LA. It's always a race to see which of them can grab the latest copy first and dive into it.

When short on new Child novels, I'm looking for the latest by Crais or Connolly. We've followed Connolly's detective Harry Bosch thru all 20 or so books, and Robert Crais has the best detective duo going in Elvis Cole and his ultra cool ex-cop, ex-marine sidekick Joe Pike. L.A. Requiem is a good starting point.

As for that Top Gun guy in the Reacher movie? Get used to it. As I understand it, he bought the rights to all the Reacher novels. Next up will be Never Go Back, the most recent Reacher book.

• Like 1