Whats in the shop

Shop Talker

Hey all I Am really new to the hand tool woodworking world my experience is lacking in all accounts. What I am trying to figure out is what is in a hand tool shop. I know the bench is the heart of the shop but what other things are there like saw bench, jointer bench and that's where I'm stuck I don't know any of the other things. What other shop fixtures and tool benches or jigs make the work easier that would help me in my new found passion. thanks for all the help

Welcome to the forums!

Suggest spending a couple days tripping thru youtube so you can understand what a loaded question you're asking.

I don't say that to be a horses back side and certainly don't mean any disrespect.  Being brand new tho, it may help you to understand fully what you're in for and how many variations are out there.

Suggest checking out Roy Underhill, Chris Schwarz, and our very own Graham Haydon (you're welcome G) on youtube.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I'm no hand tool expert but here are some basics that are needed in a hand tool shop, and pretty much every shop for that matter. The individual tools will depend on what you're looking to build, for instance you don't need a scorp or adze if you're not hollowing out chair seats and doing that kind of work.

A LARGE WALLET - this gets expensive =)

Measuring tools - rulers and such

Combination Square - a good quality square is invaluable

Crosscut saw - gotta cut your stuff to length when you build

Rip saw - if you're going strictly hand tools you'll want it for ripping wood

Hand planes - block plane, jack plane, scrub plane, jointing plane, smoothing plane. You've got a million choices here, but a block plane and jack or smoothing plane should definitely be in the mix

Miter box - for making 90/45/etc cross cuts

Dovetail saw - joinery is inevitable and a good dovetail or gents saw is a good option

Chisels - This could get messy, there are all sorts of different kinds for different purposes

Marking knife/marking guage - more of a luxury and you can get by without them but they are really nice to have

I'm sure I'm forgetting some really stupid things but I'm kind of spitballing here.

• Like 1

Here's another good book, mine is full of bookmarks: 

http://lostartpress.com/collections/books/products/the-anarchists-tool-chest

Vic Tesolin is going to be publishing a book this fall called `The Minimalist Woodworker`, and it is going to be about woodworking in a small space (his shop is only 175 square feet). One of the projects that he will have in the book is a 5' Nicholson-style bench that you can build from 2x6's using a workmate, panel saw and a chisel.  

http://www.minimalistwoodworker.com/philosophy/

Shannon Rogers runs the `Handtool School`online, and has a bunch of great articles and videos on his site:

http://www.renaissancewoodworker.com/

Bench and Appliances - A large bench is not a requirement for hand tool woodworking (though it does make it a lot easier!); I started with a Workmate, then upgraded to a 2' by 2' sheet of MDF clamped to saw horses. I got lucky and got a factory-made bench from someone on Kijiji, but this DVD(below) set tells you how to make a bench from home center materials. I would recommend building a bench over buying (my bench is a light POS that wracks horribly), but don't feel like you *need* a bench before you can make anything. Making a couple of boxes on a workmate will teach you plenty, and make it easier when you go to build the bench.

http://lostartpress.com/collections/dvds/products/the-naked-woodworker 

You'll also want a bench hook and a shooting board. There are plenty of videos/articles on how to make them, just make sure you use something stable (MDF or dry white pine) and use a good square to keep all the reference surfaces at 90 degrees.

Planes - if you can find a person/take a course that will give you access to a good quality hand plane and a little instruction as to how they are to be used, it will be time (and money) well spent; knowing how a place is supposed to work makes it a lot easier to refurbish one. Th. ere are a *lot* of different options here (wooden bodied, metal bodied, Japanese-style pull planes) so do some research (and, ideally, try some out) and find what works for you. Planes (and panel saws) are arguably the tool where buying vintage makes the most sense . 

Chisels - there's a pinned topic on this forum with all sorts of info on chisels. I like the Narex brand, Lee Valley sells sets of 4 and 7 of them. Honestly, a set of four (1/4", 1/2'", 3/4", 1") bevel-edged chisels from any good brand is all you really need to start, and then you can add in more sizes and types as needed.

Sharpening - as mentioned, a huge rabbit hole of different techniques. Find something that works for you, sharp edge solves 90% of problems. Japanese waterstones are popular. Some people use sand paper on a flat surface. It has a low start-up cost, but the lifetime cost can become considerable depending how much sharpening you do.

Measuring, marking, and layout tools - basic kit would be mechanical pencil, striking knife, a couple of marking gauges (any style will do), tape measure, combination square, and maybe a speed square or engineer square. The squares absolutely need to be in good condition and should only be purchased from a reliable source. everything else on the list can be second hand. 

Saws - If you are breaking down your stock by hand, you'll need a couple of panel saws (panel saws are 22"-28" long back-less saws). If you have access to machines to do most of your stock dimensioning you  can wait and go straight to a cross-cut carcass saw for cutting joinery. Don't feel the need to get a special dovetail saw off the bat, a crosscut saw can cut dovetails fine (based on my own experience). 

Boring/drilling - honestly, a good cordless drill is amazing, and can do double duty around the house. Have a brace and screw drivers handy for high-torque applications though. 

Also, this article is worth reading:

http://blog.lostartpress.com/2014/06/27/set-up-shop-with-the-naked-woodworker-part-2/

• Like 2

Thank you all for this great stuff I never thought about it being a loaded question after reading this I understand now I have thick skin so tiods do feel bad thanks for all the replies they really help

Pretty awesome part of this community is their willingness to lend a hand!

I should have also tossed in Renaissance Wood Worker as a good source of youtube material.  He'll be a great source for you!

I agree - the Anarchist's tool chest is extremely comprehensive and really uses the tool chest as a stand-in for the hand tool shop. Each tool is covered in adequate detail for a beginner to understand its use. 

Personally I feel that if you think too much about a total inventory of tools your head will explode. Rather you should familiarize yourself with the basics of most tools so that you know what you need them for and acquire them as you need them. It's very hard to make a good purchase decision about a tool you're not using yet. Often when questions are asked on forums you can tell that someone is trying to plan ahead and the answers can be just as vague as the question. When you need a tool it's the perfect time to buy it because you know exactly why you need it and what it will do. This will help tremendously in its selection. 

So here's the sequence I've been following that I've seen prescribed online by folks a lot further down the path than myself...

1. Start with planes, chisels, saws, marking & measuring, and sharpening media. With these you can build simple furniture at most scales. A great place to start is shop furniture. Work bench, saw bench(es), tool chest, etc. Simple boxes, end tables, etc. are easily achieved with these tools. 

2. Add some moulding planes to add some detail. I've found using these doesn't require too much more in the way of motor skills and can be applied to the majority of furniture made with the above. 

3. Carving seems to be a good third step and requires, of course, all sorts of fun new tools and some new skills. I've taken a class on this and while it's not my cup of tea in terms of the result, the work is a lot of fun and a real challenge. 

4. Next might be curved work with files, rasps, spoke shaves, etc. This really takes furniture outside the limitations of shaker style. Now you have to think dimensionally in a new way. This is the part I'm starting on and some parts seem very easy and some I find to defy intuition - since I'm used to working on one plane at a time. Not just new tools, but - to me - the first time I've really had to adjust how I approached the project in three dimensions. 

5. Turning gets thrown in there somewhere, too. I think of it as both a crucial part of nearly every discipline of furniture construction, but also a rabbit hole unto itself. Unless you're Shannon you're likely to introduce some power for this part!

Hopefully that's helpful. I'm barely conversant in the boxy world of the beginner, but I've dabbled in most other areas enough to see which ones seem like a natural next step and which seem like a total reworking of my knowledge and skills. 

• Like 1

Hey all I Am really new to the hand tool woodworking world my experience is lacking in all accounts. What I am trying to figure out is what is in a hand tool shop. I know the bench is the heart of the shop but what other things are there like saw bench, jointer bench and that's where I'm stuck I don't know any of the other things. What other shop fixtures and tool benches or jigs make the work easier that would help me in my new found passion. thanks for all the help

This piece linked below could be built with well less than a $1,000 in hand tools, including material for a basic bench.  The talent to do so, well that's something totally different.

Hand tool woodworking is not expensive.  Wood, fittings, and fitments for a project are expensive.  The tools are the least of the investment - even if you have a couple of power tools around for an assist from time to time.  Buy reasonably decent tools and you've made a one-time purchase for life.  

http://www.ronaldphillipsantiques.com/GEORGE-MAHOGANY-KNEEHOLE-WRITING-DESK-DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=6&tabindex=5&OBJECTID=536521

Find a Charles Hayward book on woodworking -- Junior Woodworker, Carpentry (actually about furnituremaking; carpentry is the general British term), Beginning Cabinetmaking, et al.  He covers all the basic tools you'll need and first shop appliances to build and how to make them.  You need less than you think.  Woodworking is in some respects like cooking -- your job is mainly to transform ingredients, not manufacture the pots and pans.

Get:

1. Jack plane

2. 1/4 & 1/2 inch chisels

3. Tenon saw...Veritas saw is the best deal going for a starter

4. Good combo square

5. Wood

Start building something...anything. If you start by buying all the tools in the world you'll bog down and not have much fun.

READ!! Lots of good stuff for free on Shannon's site....get The Anarchist Toolchest....join Shannon's Handtool School semester 1 and do all of the projects. You'll learn tons and end up building lots of shop appliances that come in handy.

• 2 months later...

A good framing square, try square, dozen or so various length clamps, (12" to 24" long) hand drill,miter box, carcass saw, dovetail saw (a good gents saw will suffice), L/A adjustable mouth block plane, #5 jack plane. 1/4" to 1/2" chisels, chisel mallet, striking knife, dovetail gauge(if you're brave you can make one), fret saw or coping saw, sizable piece of thick glass, A/O sandpaper (grits 220- 2000 min.) used for sharpening your chisels and plane irons. 

You don't have to spend a pile of money to get started. Look on ebay for a couple of decent used hand planes. Set your price limit at say $30.00 for a #5 jack and $20.00 for a L/A block plane. Good Gent saw's can be bought new for $30-$35.00. Narex chisels are an inexpensive quality chisel. LeeValley sells them. I would advise spending as much as you can afford for a good striking knife and carcass saw.

Sandpaper sharpening (scary sharp method) is probably the least expensive method of sharpening. And you never have to worry about flattening stones. You should be able to find higher grit paper at most auto parts stores.

Try-squares and framing squares can be bought at a big box store (good starters) if you already have or know someone who has a true machine square bring it with you when you go to buy your new squares and use it to test for true 90 degrees before you buy.

Look for deals at WoodCraft  or even Harbor freight for the clamps. Even Sears. I bought 6 12" clamps at Sears right after Christmas for $7.00 each.