Last 3 projects.

Adam Rahberg

I just finished up this tongue drum last night.  I have built quite a few as gifts (for really special people)

Did the cutting boards for gifts for in laws, have 3 left and facebook has already relieved me of 2 of them for a good price.  And did the cabinet doors a few years ago.  But just a sample of the fun things.  post-16619-0-92785700-1420737917_thumb.jpost-16619-0-64660900-1420737919_thumb.jpost-16619-0-10027300-1420737921_thumb.jpost-16619-0-71933300-1420737922_thumb.jpost-16619-0-65073100-1420737924_thumb.j

The drum is really fun and the kids love it.

I've made a few of those drums myself (about a dozen I suppose) for grandkids and neighbor kids. Not only are they fun to make and play with, they drive the parents crazy for about a week. :)

Obviously, I don't spend as much time as you do and do as good of work but they make noise! :)

Toungdrums001.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

Very nice Adam. 

I just bought some Padauk last weekend for making a tongue drum. I'm glad to see everyone seems to like that as a project. As far as tuning, sandpaper and removing very small amounts until you get the note you want. The bigger the tongue the deeper the octave. There's an app you can use for tuning or if you are a guitarist, pianist, bassist, etc you probably have a chromatic tuner of some kind.

They are actually quite nice to listen to even with the children banging on them.  You have to get those bouncy ball end drumsticks for them.  I actually drilled out two bouncy balls and put them on some 3/8 dowels and I like the way they sound better.  

I do have a tuning app for my phone but again, Im not musician unless air guitar and drums count.  I will rock out some Rammstein though!!!  

The tongue drum is awesome. I made a padauk xylophone last year and the tongue drum is on my list of projects.

Did you find a template for the keys or did you free hand it?

Great work all around.

That is the great and FUN thing about making the tongue drums, you can do anything you like on making the keys. That is why the tops of my drums are screwed on, I can try a different design for a top and not have to build the whole drum again.

Just make sure that all the keys are a bit different. Make them all different lengths or widths or shapes and it will work. you can sand or drill dimples on the back side to tune each key. It is all an experiment and fun play time in the shop making tongue drums.

I found that walnut tops gave me the best sound but, any hard wood works well. Size is another thing to experiment with. Notice that I used plywood for the box but tried different depths as well as covering or uncovering the bottom and you can drill large holes in the sides for better sound.

Just go for it and build a simple one and you will soon see what I'm talking about!

BTW, I use a scroll saw to cut the tongues so there is NO limit to what can be done!

Rog