Hey turners - don't forget to get 'old fashioned'

wouldwurker

The good kind of old fashioned. The kind with bourbon, bitters, club soda, and muddled fruit.

I've see lots of awesome pepper mills, pens, ice cream scoops, and bowls, but lest not forget about the classic muddler.

I didn't make this, rather., bought it years ago for FOURTY DOLLARS at a 'classy' place. Just putting on a bit of finish now.

It would make a great present for the bourbon lover in your life.4f423ccc481e6e7c817bac69e3197d0f.jpg

I'm afraid to buy a lathe. Combined with everything else, It feels like the speedball equivalent of woodworking.

Lathes are awesome! Another fun project is a honey dipper. 

Go for it, they're fun.  I don't use mine nearly enough and don't have 1/100th the toys a real turner does but, they are fun.

Isn't that the truth. I've got as many tools and accessories for my lathe that equal to the cost of my Jet 1642 itself. Lathe tools get ridiculously expensive. At least if you want anything that's of any sort of quality. 

Isn't that the truth. I've got as many tools and accessories for my lathe that equal to the cost of my Jet 1642 itself. Lathe tools get ridiculously expensive. At least if you want anything that's of any sort of quality. 

I was talking to someone and they said it would be cool to get a lathe because you could turn lots of cool stuff and you just needed a lathe not all the other tools so it was cheaper...   I just kinda gave the slow nod and was like "yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeea".

I was talking to someone and they said it would be cool to get a lathe because you could turn lots of cool stuff and you just needed a lathe not all the other tools so it was cheaper...   I just kinda gave the slow nod and was like "yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeea".

HAHAHA. Until you get bit by the bug and you wanna turn pens, you'll only need a mandrel, oh and bushings, oh and the right size drill bit, oh yeah a mandrel saver is a nice luxury to keep the mandrel from bending due to over tightening the tail stock.

$120 later

Then ok small items are getting boring, I wanna turn a bowl, all I need is a chuck, oh and maybe some chuck jaws.

$250 later

Bowls are fun, but I wanna do some big spindles, maybe some table legs or a walking stick.... DAMN Why is it wobbling so much when I try to cut along this 40" piece... Time for a spindle stabilizer

$140 later

Man all my tools are dull how am I gonna sharpen them. Betting get something to sharpen them.

Choose your poison

Tormek and Jigs $800 

8" slow grinder and Wolverine Jig $400 later

Sorby Sharpening system $600

Worksharp 3000 and jigs $400 

(insert option above) later

Maybe I'll get some of those fancy replaceable carbide tipped tools.

$60-150 each 

oooh there's so many! $400 later

I sure wish I could texture my work... WHOA they make a texturing tool? It's how much?

$189 later

Boring holes... How could I have forgotten to get a drill chuck?

$40 later

It's a never ending rabbit hole.

• Like 1

HAHAHA. Until you get bit by the bug and you wanna turn pens, you'll only need a mandrel, oh and bushings, oh and the right size drill bit, oh yeah a mandrel saver is a nice luxury to keep the mandrel from bending due to over tightening the tail stock.

Yea that sounds about like I imagined it. =)

I've showed my wife a lot of the really cool pens (including a lot of yours I think) and she said that it was really cool and I should learn that eventually...   She changed her mind when I pointed out that the Woodcraft catalog has like 10 pages devoted to pen turning...the only reason there would be 10 pages is if it's expensive and profitable for them. =p

Yea that sounds about like I imagined it. =)

I've showed my wife a lot of the really cool pens (including a lot of yours I think) and she said that it was really cool and I should learn that eventually...   She changed her mind when I pointed out that the Woodcraft catalog has like 10 pages devoted to pen turning...the only reason there would be 10 pages is if it's expensive and profitable for them. =p

You can get away with turning pens as the most inexpensive setup if you go with a mini lathe. I lucked out and got a Jet 10-14 mini lathe with everything needed to turn 4 different kinds of pens plus 60 or so pen blanks and some pen kits for $125 from a guy on Craigslist.  The only problem with turning pens is every time you buy a pen kit. $4-$30 each kit depending on what you want. I generally turn Cigar pens that are about 8 bucks a piece without the cost of the blank. Don't anticipate selling any because every pen is gonna be claimed by family members. I've turned about 100 pens and managed to sell 6 of them. 2 years ago I turned 20 in one night for each of my employees. Every other pen has been a gift several times over, with the exception of the 4 I've kept for myself. 

I think I've gotten off rather light in my turning expenses to this point.

Lathe (full size) - $200

Tool set #1 - $20

Tool set #2 - $100 (gift)

8" slow grinder - $100

Wolverine - $80

Shield - $30

There's a tutorial to make your own carbide-tipped tools, I'll be checking that out once the new stand is built. Guy on another board has about $40 invested for five.

Edit: Forgot about the chuck. That's another $150 or so. Worth it, though.

Watco butcher block

Give Williams Sonoma the 'nice job' :).

Just throwing out some ideas for the turners out there.

I'm afraid to buy a lathe. Combined with everything else, It feels like the speedball equivalent of woodworking.

And here I thought you were going to give KY jelly a shot at a finish!

• Like 2