Humidor Journal

HunterL

Vinny, I did have some blue tape on for these cuts but it didn't seem to help. I did avoid it using blue tape on other cuts, though. I had a sacrificial fence on my miter gauge but after the first cut its not really backing anything up anymore, right?

Would y'all have attached some new backer piece to your miter gauge for all 4 corners? Thanks. For now, though, I'm stuck with what I've got. 16ab14685dc5f5a085d601222bd5e028.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would y'all have attached some new backer piece to your miter gauge for all 4 corners?

I had a sacrificial fence on my miter gauge but after the first cut its not really backing anything up anymore, right?

I wouldn't normally switch out the backer after the first cut when making a "box".

After you've made the first cut it is still backing up fairly well (especially with some tape).

Maybe look at the sharpness of the blade or a slower feed rate.

Then again, now that I think of it...did you make your miters on a compound miter saw?

If so, did you use zero-clearance...?

D

Edit: I'm sorry that was silly.

You said..."miter gauge".

Let me change my reply to...maybe make a dedicated miter sled.

Not sure if I'm reading it right, but did the original tearout happen during the rabbet cutting, presumably because all 4 pieces were end grain rabbets?

That tearout happened when cutting the recesses on the 4 vertical corners of the box, the space in which the vertical maple trim was inserted.

Thanks, Terry.

I've cleaned up the box top and bottom pieces after sawing the lid off, now on to the hinges. I was planning on making the MDF template, but Brusso dropped the price from $38 to $10! So now I am waiting for that to come in the mail. Looking ahead to finishing, going to pick up the materials (polishing compounds/pads etc.) ahead of time. Excited for the hinge installation.

Still pondering the issue with the feet. I ordered these feet from Brusso, and I'll see if they look like they'd work. But I'm definitely open to more ideas and more sources for nice brass hardware, as Brusso's selection of box feet was good but not great for my situation.

Edit: Could just make little square wooden feet on each corner, maybe Walnut since it's right there next to the Maple.

Yep some nice walnut feet could be really nice as well. You could always have them extended out like 1/4 - 1/2" proud just to make them stand out a little more and be a bigger accent piece

Ya I think that would be cool. I really like the look of the Brusso ones in the above picture that follow the corner. The limiting factor for that though is the installation location is a problem because of the bottom veneer panel. I don't think I want to cut into that.

Okay! Finally made some more progress. After one million test cuts and an hour of setting everything up just right, I mortised for the Brusso Quadrant hinges. 24e03b17ff2750b92f0e6680a5e6a6f6.jpg

I finessed the fit some with a chisel, pre drilled all the holes, made room for the quadrant link thingy majigger, pre threaded the holes with a steel screw, and did a test install. Looks good to me! I d227c43224e90be9f00a84ad35b33701.jpg

I have just got to say. I have never been so scared... I did NOT want to screw up and have a reason to start over or be unhappy with the box. Luckily, I didn't do too bad. Hope yall are having a great long weekend!