Krenov Inspired Bookcase - Need advice

pdjms1

After working on this project over the Christmas break I have come to the last step, drawer pull, and cannot figure out what the heck to do... I have thought about integrated/recessed, metal (nah!), doing what Marc just did in the guild build, and just can't come to a conclusion so I figured I would reach out to some of the smartest and most equipped people to help me make a decision... Y'all!  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if accompanied with a pic/sketch it would help immensly.

Complete build photos:

Finished Pics:

post-15932-0-26426300-1420858415_thumb.j

post-15932-0-16632000-1420858430_thumb.j

post-15932-0-77601300-1420858435_thumb.j

Thanks and happy new year to all y'all.

Drawer pull design is almost as difficult as the design of the piece. What I normally do is look through magazines, images from the internet or furniture stores/antique shops for inspiration. James Krenov himself didn't over complicate his pull designs and if you google "Krenov drawer pulls" for images you can see the simple things he did to great effect.

I agree with phinds...mimicking the legs might be the way to go.  But like Terry said...subtle.

May I ask why the drawer front is so thick?  In light of that, you might consider a carved, recessed pull since you have so much meat to play with.

Cool piece!  I think I know where you got the inspiration for those legs.  :)

I agree, but add that racing stripe, and it'll be gone in 60 seconds.

LMAO!

I hadn't considered mimicking the tops of the legs at all... i might have to create a few samples to see if I can make something functional, and appealing.

I was thinking just add a spring behind the drawer, push and it pops out. But then I noticed no drawer back, which kinda explains the thick drawer front. I would drill a single finger hole with a forstner bit and then use a " t " slot router bit to undercut a lip inside

There isn't a backing to the cabinet but the drawer does have a back.  To the question about why such a thick front... well, i wanted deep and narrow half blind dovetails (liked the look) and it was kind of unexpected.  I was also thinking about having a recessed handle originally but it was a "I will figure that out when I get to it" kind of thing.

I agree with phinds...mimicking the legs might be the way to go.  But like Terry said...subtle.

May I ask why the drawer front is so thick?  In light of that, you might consider a carved, recessed pull since you have so much meat to play with.

Cool piece!  I think I know where you got the inspiration for those legs.  :)

I have been looking for an opportunity since the first day I watched the Gadget station video by Marc to use this leg design.  I actually went out that weekend and bought the walnut with the idea of using the legs on my floating top bench but decided to use a more square design on it.  My wife also found a picture of what Marc did on the Krenov stand and said she like that.  

Dang so many good ideas, I like the push spring idea, the leg top idea, and the recessed idea!  Ok, time to make some samples.  I think i might post some pics and see what you guys think... When it comes to drawer pulls I am way to indecisive (probably because it also means the project is over)

Thank you again for all the input and ideas it really helps me out.

Wife spoke on my second "sample" said "ohh, that one, i like it!" so now i have to figure out how to spend the rest of my afternoon. I should say I did play around it the 20 deg slope, to match the leg tops, and it ended up being too big visually in order to have a large enough area to comfortably pull the handle.  When I made it the right size visually it was a little small to use comfortably.  I still like the idea and will have to play around with it more for other projects.   Thanks again for all input.  

Pic of handle:

• 5 months later...