I'm so new I haven't even started!

Russell Beeman

Hello community!  I am Russell from Northeast Texas and I grew up with a familiarity of general woodworking but I am just recently deciding that I want to make this a real hobby!  I have spent the last 8 years building a mechanics toolbox as that was my previous profession and now I want to shove that into the corner of my garage and start a humble woodworking garage shop.  I am in the Army and am currently in Monterey, CA and am set to be sent to Augusta, GA in the fall, so I hope to be able to connect with people along the way!  I have a Craftsman 19.2v 1/2 Drill and a matching circular saw that drains the battery pretty quickly, but it's something to work with.  Any and all tips and advice are always welcomed and I hope to have something to contribute as well!

Welcome. Depending on where you are stationed, your post may have an already established wood shop.

I was stationed on camp Pendleton and they had a shop with every tool imaginable we were able to use for $2/day as well as an area to store your wood and unfinished projects. There were a bunch of retired civilian guys who would come there to work and pay ($10) because of how much space there was and having about every tool one may need at your fingertips. I learned so much from bending those guys ears..

I learned how to mill lumber from the beginning, properly gluing up panels, hand cutting dovetails.. Ahh, I wish I lived closer to there..

Brendon, that would be a wonderful resource, I really hope to have something like that around Ft. Gordon.  Ross, thanks for the information, I am really excited to delve into this community and make some connections. Cooper, I lived in Longview, TX for 25 years and I will always call that area home.