Open segmented vase

Bombarde16

6e4755df4848a8f39e34f13e99c77787.jpgd0a85a8df6d99c2415e5237f352ded2a.jpg

In 2015, I resolve to conquer my fear of the far side of the lathe, i.e. turning interiors. I'm working the inside of what will be the top of an open, segmented vase. Dry Douglas Fir (because that's what I have at hand) and some bits of red oak at the rim and base. Pedestrian materials to be sure, but I'm learning a lot.

Full disclosure: My first attempt at hollowing went badly. I got kicked around and scared s###less every time the tool caught, so I put what was left of the workpiece (a small, segmented pot) aside and took a break. Richard Raffan's book finally helped me figure out what I was doing wrong. Back in the saddle we go. The interior of the top is shaped and scraped with (knock on wood) nary a catch thus far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is scary, no doubt. But the key is understanding how a catch occurs. Citing Raffan's book:

16f9444df79ad4786408dac43280d544.jpg

This was the epiphany. All of my catches had been on inside walls where the surface was nearly parallel to the axis of rotation. It seems so obvious now. I had had the gouge rolled to its right side and it contacted the wood on the left. Catch, twist and BANG! all in the blink of an eye.

Getting very close to the final shape for the bottom. The nice thing about an open segmented form is that you can constantly check your wall thickness. The bad thing about an open segmented form is that your wall thickness must be absolutely uniform or it'll look awful.

1ddde94340a9e89cc60f3d2328b1cab4.jpg