Parts for old Shopmaster Band Saw

daddyman77802

Hi folks!

I have recently acquired an old (1950's) Shopmaster Twelve Inch tilting table Band Saw from an gentleman selling out his shop. I have been working on cleaning it up and getting it ready to use. I watched Marks video on setting up and tuning a bad saw. There are a few differences between the new ones and this one, but some things were very helpful. while taking it apart and cleaning it, I noticed the Guide Blocks were very worn. They are round and look like brass, but I am not positive about that. would anyone know where I can get replacements? There is also a round thing that I do not know what it is, but it sits in the Lower and Upper Guide body perpendicular to the blade. It is not shown in the parts list but you can see it and the Guide Block in the attached picture. It too is very worn.  Also, the Rubber Wheel Bands are cracked. Would the urethane band saw tires be appropriate to replace them with? The saw, otherwise, is in very good condition. I had to search extensively for blades at it requires a 78" blade. I am also in the market for a fence system.The table is 12" square and has a miter gauge track. My main use for this will be cutting tenons. My 2015 goal is to build a cherry mission style couch, love seat, chair, ottoman and coffee table.  Any other helpful hints for cleaning and updating a 60+ year old band saw would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!

Daniel

post-7266-0-19713900-1421120687_thumb.jp

Ok, I have been accepted into the fold at OWWM, but their site is not functioning worth a broken penny. But, after some extensive research, I have found some answers. My guide blocks are 1/4 round. what are your feelings about Cool Blocks as replacements for the "brass" ones I have? Any other recommendations?

• 1 year later...