qs white oak rocker nearly complete!

tcarswell

A quick back story I wanted to mention I got into woodworking because I wanted to build a rocking chair for my wife needless to say that is not a pRoject for anyone to start a new hobby . I made a few cutting boards a Craftsman table and a few other things but about 8 months ago I finally went and got over 100 board feet of quarter sAwn white oak . of which I still have plenty left over. to date I have over 90 hours in this project don't ask me how. I really wanted to share but I didn't feel like I had enough to share until today. Thanks you guys for so much input and help I hope you enjoy Taylor

post-16322-0-20290900-1421140041_thumb.j

post-16322-0-88881900-1421140114_thumb.j

Nice work Taylor. A rocker sure is an ambitious project - it's looking great.

Thanks so much Terry that means so much. this project is a surprise for my wife she knows I'm building it but she hasn't been allowed to see it so you guys are really the first people to ever actually see it. I tend to be really critical about my work so it's good to hear that you like it.

PS The seatwill be upholstered with leather.

I don't see much to criticize there, Taylor.  Looks like fine work to me...from the sideways view, anyway. :)

Don't feel bad for spending so much time on it.  It takes me forever to complete a project and I've been at it a while.  Whatever it takes to get it done right.  As long as you're enjoying the process and doing the best work you can do, there are no rules about time.  The only danger for me is getting bored with a project that drags on too long.

I think you are doing a great job on your rocker and it looks very good. :)

It wasn't my first project but, I built a rocking chair about six years ago. I saw the design and loved it, bought the plans and some hard maple and started cutting. After a bit (about three weeks) I got so frustrated with it that I just took it all to the basement and left it for about six months! Then one day I suddenly got excited about MY rocking chair and drug it all back up to the shop and finished it.

It was an extremely complicated design for someone with so little experience as I had but, I really loved that chair design and it still sits in our living room today.  

GotthearmsonitIMG_0623.jpg

It is not nearly as good of work as a lot of people on this site would do but, it's MINE and you will be just as proud of your rocker in the future too! :)

Rog

• Like 2

Thank you guys so much for all the kind words ! That means so much. The rockers themselves are glue laminated from 4 slices of resaw qswo . I really liked how they came out. Roger I love it fantastic work. You don't happen to still have the plans for that bad boy or know where to get them do you ? I have a few small projects and then I want to do another! My ww skills have improved a ton since I started this project so I feel the next will go quicker. What's this about a rocker guild build ?!

My ww skills have improved a ton since I started this project so I feel the next will go quicker. What's this about a rocker guild build ?!

I've seen the mention of the rocker guild build several times. Is this a fact?

The Dresser/nightstand hasn't started yet and Marc just announced the gaming table for the end of the year.