Moulding Planes

popper

So I'm looking at getting into moulding planes.  I know Matt Bickford's planes and Time warp tool works are the places to go to get high down planes.  But I'm not sure I want to spend a ton of money on a pair without knowing it's something I like doing.  My question is are these http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=64009&cat=1,230,41182,41200worth the spending any money on? Or is like trying to see if you like using hand planes with using a $10 HD plane.  

I can't answer your question comparing them to traditional european-style moulding planes, but I have a set of these planes. All I can say is they do work, I have been happily moulding edges with them. The biggest problems I have had is learning to sharpen the blades (especially the hollows), but that will be a common problem with any moulding plane.

Caveat - I'm happily using Groz bench planes too, so I don't have the most expensive taste in tools.

I probably have over a hundred, and I do use them, but not all have been used.  I just bought ones I liked when I won it cheaply on ebay.  I've had great luck with those from the UK, and average price has been around 15 bucks, and when I was buying them, shipping was about 8 bucks for a small packet.  Out of all of those, only one chattered, and it had a poorly made replacement wedge.  I quit buying them from U.S. sellers.  For some reason, ones from the UK have been well kept, but ones here seem like they came out of a barn.  I wouldn't buy one with a pitted iron.

They're easy to use, if you can sharpen the iron.